Theres a 12 yr old who wants to play & ride bikes with my dd who's 9, is this too much of an age diff.?

tntornado45

Asked by tntornado45 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on the child.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My 12 year old neighbor gets my 21 year old husband to ride bikes with him, so you tell me. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Only if they become really good friends, one will be a teenager in a few months and one won't. One will be in jr.high/middle school and one in elementary. I would avoid it if it were my daughter, just to avoid trouble in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• lol ^^^^ i overheard this girl using bad language & called her on it, told her she couldn't talk like that here or around caitlyn if i ever heard it again she would not be allowed to play here, she teared up & promised not to, idk if i'm doing the right thing or not ~~~

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yeah, i think it depends on the child more than age.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If your child is mature for her age, then I don't see the problem with it. My brother is 12 and his friends range from 10 years to 15 years. All my friends are older and always have been. I'm 20, and only two friends are under the age of 35. One of my best girl pals is almost 50 (48)...
    Maybe you can have them play around you a time or two to see how they get along.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it depends on the children and their relationship. When I was growing up, there weren't a lot of kids in any one age group in my neighborhood, so most of the kids I played with on a regular basis were a few years older or younger than me. I think a lot of times kids can have very similar personalities and interests and be good playmates even with an age difference. You do just have to kind of monitor how things are going and make sure that the activities and conversations they are doing together are appropriate for a 9 yr old as well as a 12 yr old.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When I was 13 my best friend was 8. And we were very close. We did everything together. In the summer we would spend weeks at each other's houses (she lived next door to me and was an only child, I have 1 younger brother).
    20 years later and she is still one of my best friends and our daughter have grown up together and are so close people think they are sisters.
    My kids have friends of all ages. Today me and my 3yo were on the porch when my son's 8yo friend came over (he didn't have school today) and he played with my daughter for an hour or so building castles with her blocks. My kids are 3, 6, 7 and 9 and their friends range in age from 2-12, both boys and girls.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son is 8 and he plays with neighborhood children that are 11, 13, 15. As well as 7, 8, 9. They play basketball, ride bikes, waterguns, etc. I have no problem with it. The older children have always been appropriate and the play would stop if they get out of line.
    momof2boy2girl

Answer by momof2boy2girl at 3:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son is friends very close friends with a 13 year old girl. I think it depends on the 12 year old. His friend we have know for many years so it isn't an issue. It is your call do you feel comfortable?
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009