Travel Agent or No?

I'm planning on going on a vacation around end of February-ish. I have been looking online for good deals to the Carribean, and I found some, but would it be cheaper if I went through a Trave Agency? Could they find me better deals, or is it more expensive? Never went through one, so any advice gladly accepted?

dustinsmom0113

Asked by dustinsmom0113 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Travel

• Try it and see. Compare the prices you find online to the ones from a travel agent.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• In my experience it is MORE expensive to go through a travel agency. Good Luck in your search and have fun!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I find the travel agents a bit higher but they take some work out of it. I like to do things myself. I have had good results with travelocity and the hotel/cruise/car home web sites are usually the least expensive.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• keep in mind a travel agent usually include transfers. You need to get to where ever you are going from the airport and it can be pricey.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I used to be a corporate Travel Agent and i know my company was respnsible at guarenteeing getting our clients on a different flight if the one they were supposed to be on changed or was canceled. We had to do the work for them. I'm not sure how leisure travel agts. work, though. I would compare prices, but keep in mind experienced agts. will know what hotels are best to stay in in the Carribean. They may look nice on-line, but looks can be decieving. It may be worth paying a little exta. I know Beaches in Jamaica is not what it seems on-line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would use travel agent. We saved more then $2000 to our trip to Europe just because of the good travel agent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• although a travel adgent may be able to get you into the better hotels, and do all the leg work, they normally will end up costing you a bit more. It also depends on what type of agency you go threw. Some will book everything for you ,including your restaurants. Others ,just the basics. I would go online, and see what you want to do during your vacation, and then go and see if an agency has a package deal for the activities you want to do, and for reasonable prices. Sometimes, these deals can end up saving you big time. But if you can't get the deals you want, your better off planning things on your own.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:59 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If you're traveling somewhere you haven't been before for a vacation, I'd recommend a travel agent, even though you might be able to find a better price online. You don't really want to spend your vacation trying to figure out what there is to do in the area and how to get there, do you?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:14 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• I used to be a leisure travel agent. The hotel pays the agent a commission for any booking but the agent doesn't bump up your rate. If they do your air like to Europe, they'll use bulk airfare to get you a cheaper rate. They will take fifty bucks per ticket BUT you won't notice and the air is usually still a lot less than if you went to Northwest Airlines by yourself and booked a ticket. All this said, no bulk air to Caribbean and deals are plentiful (I just got back from Cayman) so you can probably pull this off alone but like the others say, it's the research that is time consuming. I happen to love it. Keep in mind rides to and from your home to the airport and arrival destination.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:47 PM on Sep. 7, 2009