If you seen a mom in the store disciplining her young child and think she is taking it to far would you say something, or just keep walking.

Alisshia

Asked by Alisshia at 11:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it was excessivly too far, yes, I would say something.

More specifically, 6 years ago when I worked at McDonalds, there was a mother SCREAMING at her child (no more than 3 years old) and then proceeded to spank him, and then scream some more. The child was doing nothing wrong that I could tell, aside from not eating his frenchfries (but he had eaten his nuggets). It was making the rest of the restaurant uncomfortable, so finally I went up to her and said "excuse me ma'am, but this is not the place for that type of discipline." She turned beet red, and didn't yell the rest of the time they were there (about 20 more mins)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Unless she was hurting the child I'd mind my own business. I've seen a few moms around the store who were in desperate need of a hug, some girl time, and a break. If I were to see someone overdoing the spanking I'd say something. Other than that I'd make sure the mother noticed that I'm smiling a look of empathy and move on.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The word is ***SAW***....... "If you saw a mom in the store."

To answer your question, if she was "beating the kid" I would say something. If she popped his bum with an open hand, I would not. Even though I don't believe in spanking, parenting styles differ greatly among parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It would depend how far she was going. If she was screaming and practically beating her child I would say something (probably along the lines of what CarolynBarnett said) but if it were just a spanking and I could clearly see the child was acting out then I would mind my own business
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Unless and until she's abusing the child, then you just shut your pie hole and walk away grinding your teeth and cursing her under your breath. IF the child is being abused or it's just WAY over the top in the line of verbal abuse - then call a manager and hold her feet to the fire for abusing a child. I wouldn't have a problem protecting a child I saw being abused - and I wouldn't care WHAT anyone said or thought of me. I'd have to think; if she's doing that bad in public how is that child being treated when no one is around and THAT'S what would motivate me to speak up.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• keeping walking. Even if she's abusing the kids, becuase you saying somethign could just cause her to get madder and do something else stupid. Contact the store security personale if it's really bad, but nother otherwise. Sometimes it just looks worse than it is. Or you didn't see the whole thing so for all you know the kid when off on the mom and she was just reacting. Not always good, but it happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What is the definition of "taking it too far"? Unless a mom is beating the crap out of her kid, I mind my own business. She is free to discipline her child the way she sees fit (so long as she's not abusing the child).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When I worked at walmart about 7 years ago a lady got one of the belts we had for sale and put her daughter on the floor. She put her foot on her back and started beating that girl right in the store. Everybody heard the yelling. Employees were telling her she couldnt do that and customers were screaming. We had to call the police. That was the craziest thing I have ever seen.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Mind your own business, keep walking and say a prayer for the child and parent.

Sooner or later they will get caught...angry 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• "Too far" by who's standards?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009