Husband's tattoo of ex's name...

My husband has a tattoo of his ex-girlfriend's name that he got when he was like, 20. He's 29 now. He totally regrets it, he says it was the dumbest thing he ever did. It's on his chest (over his heart-*rolling my eyes*). He doesn't walk around with his shirt off hardly ever...so,I know it bothers him, but it bothers me too! We looked into get it lasered and it would cost like, $1000. A cover up whould be the only option. Would you push your husband to get it covered? We don't have spare money like that even to cover up it would cost a couple hundred. How would you feel? It's fairly big and dark. Ugh.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Burn it off....hehe...when you have the extra $ i would push to get it done...maybe it can be done piece by piece and not all at once, pay for what you can when you can.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 12:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I just asked my fiance about what he would do in his situation and he said he would

SAVE AND GET IT REMOVED and I agree, covering it up with another tat is kind of odd because you know its till there
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i would definatly MAKE HIM get it covered. i would not be able to look at that. it would piss me the fuck off. a couple hundred is not that bad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• it would probably look better covered over with another tattoo. i think the laser would leave a nasty scar. BTW- my boyfriend of 3 yrs has one of his ex in the same place. The night we met he said it was his dead sister(what a crappy lie !!). So every once in awhile, someone will ask who it is and I say it's his dead sister... It doesn't really bother me, but it looks silly, and if we ever had the money, I'd be thrilled if he covered it, but it's not a priority for now. Urban legend says if you get the name of your partner tattooed, then you're doomed to break up(my ex had my name in runes,covered it up later)- but it's ok to have your children or other relative's name... Don't pressure him about it- be happy he is capable of loving someone and that he had relationships before you to help him be a better partner. If it really bothers him,he'll eventually get rid of it. You knew he had it when you met...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Save some the next couple of paychecks and get that sucker covered! It would bother me to see my DH's ex name on him while we were having sex or anytime!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No I wouldn't force him to cover it, i'm not my husbands master. If he wanted it gone or covered he would do it, otherwise I wouldn't care.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• OP HERE: Thank you ranedare, those are great words...It hasn't lead to arguements or anything...it's just I'd like it covered or removed before my oldest daughter (she is 3 now)starts asking what it is or says. And yeah, I don't care to see it anymore while sexin' lol! He's my prince charming other than that, so yeah, I am happy with him and who he is.

Though, the first time I saw it I was like, "ohh, damaged goods!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I understand what you mean- in truth, it bugs me sometimes, but I know he kinda wishes he didn't get it, and he's with me completely. In a way, I think it shows he really cared for her, and we wouldn't want a guy incapable of love,right? He got our son's name tattooed on his arm as soon as we had extra money- and I was happy for him. Also, he moved to my home state with me, loves my kids,and my family(his mom and grandma passed away,and his only brother lives an hour away), so the tattoo is his distant past... I sure as hell wouldn't want him to put my name on his body(LOL)...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 1:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Are you sure laser removal costs that much? I have been getting a tattoo removed and every laser session costs less than $100. I"ve only had 2, probably only need 1 more and the tattoo is almost gone. It is small but it was professionally done and it has color. The guy who does mine told me black is the easiest color to remove and that some black ones come off with only one treatment. I don't think I'd want to stare at another woman's name every time I saw him without a shirt. I would make it a priority, but I'm obsessive like that.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My DD just had a tattoo overlay done, doing an overlay is much cheaper and better,you can't even tell she had the first tattoo they put a gorgeous rose on top of it. Another thing,I do think this decision should come from him,not you,if, you force him,that's not him proving his love to you, let him decide,and even,if he don't get it removed,he had it 9 years before he met you,we must remember,we don't have the right to force someone to messed up their bodies to prove love.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009