Had my baby shower, now what?

So we got almost everything we need for the baby (sigh of relief) : )

But now I need to know some things so I can get some odds and ends

What goes into a diaper bag for a newborn? (so i can get those items out of the way)

Besides Diapers and Wipes, what are some things we will never have enough of?

Any extra advice is greatly appreciated... Thank You

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• items to keep in the diaper bag: pacifiers (if you use them), pacifier clip (is also good at clipping toys to a bib or stroller), butt cream, a recieving blanket, bib, extra outfit (in case of mishap), I liked the diaper duck (holds the blue plastic baggies), nursing pads (if breastfeeding), spit rags (clean kitchen towels work great for this- and look cute), formula and a bottle (if formula feeding), baby toy, changing pad, maxi pads for you, a cell phone, a snack for you (if breastfeeding),
    Another good item to pack-- a camera (or keep a disposable one in there and replace as needed) to catch some of the precious moments.
    I used to use my diaper bag as a purse when going places. It was easiest to put my cell, wallet and keys in there and just grab the 1 bag instead of trying to keep track and hang onto a purse and diaper bag, as well as baby.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• An extra oufit because they can get messy fast. Bottle and formula or breast pump. A toy. Comb. Tylenol in case they get sick on the road.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Diaper rash cream, baby shampoo/lotion. BTW, after you give birth, you need pads for yourself for about 4-6 weeks worth.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• With most babies you will next extra burp cloths. :-)
    For my DD, in her diaper bag we had an extra outfit (two for the trip to the hospital, one for the pictures, one to bring her home), diapers, wipes, formula and a bottle (if you're going to use bottles), we also kept blankets, pacifiers, and other "small" things, like baby shampoo, lotion, etc. that we used with our DD.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• diapers. wipes. formula and water bottles (if ff). burp cloths. extra clothes. pacifiers (if youll use them). diaper rash cream. a comfort object. bibs. changing pad. snacks for you. ziploc bags (for dirty clothes or bibs). blanket
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• blanket or changing pad, extra clothes, diaper powder or cream, plastic bags for soiled clothing, bottles and formula if you are bottle feeding, or breast cream if you are breastfeeding.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Now what?...were you expecting a car...lol J/K

Sometimes you won't know until you go through the motion believe me you will know sometimes you end up buying stuff that you really won't need.

Just go with it then you'll know...GL and congratulations

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Things to own prior to having a baby: infant Tylenol, gas drops, diaper cream, nursing pads if you breastfeed (I actually forgot to buy these ahead of time with my 3rd child and had to stop and get them on the way home from the hospital).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree, an extra outfit and binky, bottles pre-filled with infant water if you FF, diaper cream, burp cloths, a blanket, formula. If you are FF, Munchkin makes the best formula holder, it has 3 divided chambers in a small container that has an opening with a lid on top. Open the lid turn it upside down and dump it intpo the bottle. We've used this for both kids.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009