Has anyone ever highlighted their hair at home?

I'm getting sick of paying $100 ever other month for highlights and am thinking about doing them at home - or rather having my husband do them for me. My hair is dark brown, and I usually get foil highlights in caramel. Has anyone done foil highlights at home before. If so, do you have any tips, or would I be making a huge mistake?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I dye and cut my hair at home all the time. I won't go to a salon anymore....and no, I don't "know what I'm doing"....but it always turns out great. I just watched some YouTube videos on how to do it and they helped immensely, and I braved it and it turned out excellent....so now I do that all the time. Go on YouTube and search for "how to highlight your own hair" and I'm sure you'll find some good pointers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wow! That is alot of money! I frosted my MIL hair one time. I am not sure if frosting is what you are looking for. She wore the plastic helmet thing and I pulled her hair up thru the holes. Pretty easy. But I know this.....whatever section of hair you start at will color the most. So probably start at your crown and not the fine hair at your temples.

YouTube.....awesome idea!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• the at home colorings and highlight kits now are so good, i usually just do color and it comes out great, i have tried highlights once, it came out okay but i think it was just more the wrong color and how i did it , but i would definatly try it again before i spent that kind of money,
    Thalie

Answer by Thalie at 7:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• foil is harder to do than the caps. I've used the caps so many times, they are super easy and you can do it yourself
    cfdm3s_mommy

Answer by cfdm3s_mommy at 1:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If you decide to give it a go, you may want to try a shade darker than you think you want. I did it, followed every line of every instruction.... Big Bird Yellow!!! Argh! I went (with a hat on and tail between my legs) back to the salon to have it fixed. She laughed and told me to start dark and lighten up the next month if I think I need to.
    mnrsmom900

Answer by mnrsmom900 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 5, 2009