Confused about Sept. 8

Ok I am not trying to start some kind of war or anything I am a little confused though. Why is the speech such a controversy? No one has heard it yet so how do u know that it is going to be bad. The only thing I can even find on it says that the speech will be about the importance of education. Doesn't everyone think education is important? Am I missing something. And then there was a small sentence about the speech containing things like citizenship and civic duty. I thought those were all important too. Maybe I am wrong. Can someone help me understand? Please if u know something I don't please share it I am so confused.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The speech includes a curriculum written by the White House, not the teachers. They are assuming the teachers are all too stupid to ask the students about the speech and telling them exactly what to say and ask. Originally the WH wanted the teachers to make the kids write letters about how they can help the president and what the president wants them to do. Someone finally figured out how creepy and Orwellian that sounded, so they changed the wording, but it's still the same thing, the WH overriding the teachers and telling them how to teach the speech.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Civic duty.

Psh.

More like, "Serve your country, small ones. Serve your country, and do as your president suggests."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Citizenship and civic duty--a nice way to say..."Hey I'm great and soon I'll be running every inch of your lives young people so you better get used to seeing me around". Ugh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I just wish my kids were school age so they could be a part of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I know this link is from a right wing blog, so the article does have a slant, but it states the issue better than I can....

http://www.americasright.com/2009/09/whitewashing-presidential-speech-to.html

Now, my thoughts...I have no problem that he's making a speech (again!) and directing it toward youth. I have my students watch all speeches by all the presidents (I've even taped nighttime addresses to bring into school the next day) and we've analyzed them, asking questions like, "Was this an effective speech?", "What tools of rhetoric does he use?" , "What were some memorible lines?", "What was the purpose of the speech?", and "Was his point clear and concise?" In discussing purpose, we also discuss policies and what those policies could mean.

The problem here is that the WH has provided the lesson plans, which shows at the least a lack of faith in the teachers and, at most, the attempt to control the message. ....
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• More like, "Serve your country, small ones. Serve your country, and do as your president suggests."

That is terrible, to tell kids to serve their country BY STAYING IN SCHOOL!!! The HORROR

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Because Obama is giving it and these people don't like him. They spend their days b!tching about him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Because if you know history at all, and in consideration of everything else, the czars, the outrageous money being spent and so on and so on. And then the simple questions of WHY does HE need to PERSONALLY address this HIMSELF? Why not each state, or the school address this? Can't the teachers do this themselves? Are our teachers just too stupid, that they can't teach the kids the importance of school themselves? Why does it need to be all grades and not just Jr. High and High School? And the types of questions What can you do to help the president and such. Oh and then let's bring up the citizenship and civic duty? WHY? Again if anyone knows ANYTHING ABOUT HISTORY! When a dictator takes over a country, he does all these things. ALL OF THEM!!! When the adults of the country are revolting, the leader tries to influence the nations children, what a better way to do it, than this very thing.

Anonymous

• cont--- IT IS HISTORY FACT, YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The problem is simply that it's creepy. No other president in history has ever made a speech to the entire NATION of children. It's the same method Hitler used to indoctrinate/re-educate the younger generation in order to teach them that his policies were not only good, but NECESSARY.

Considering Obama's slew of other activities that are eerily Communistic, this just adds to the scariness of it all.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009