How do you feel about your child needed glasses???

Ok I am feeling kind of down I know it's not that bad but my dd is 6 yrs. old and she might be needing glasses :(

I started wearing glasses when I was 7 ...lord knows if I needed them before then.

Anyway my dh is being a butt about this first he says no she don't need glasses and I told him if she needs them she needs them. The school nurse checked her eyes and said she is going to need glasses (she tested her 3 times already) and when I took her to the eye doctor she said she does have alttile farsightedness and alittle astigmatism...I am like oh great :(

I hoped she wouldn't need them but if it will help her with her school work that is fine by me.

How do you feel if your child needed glasses???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My child does need them and has them, two of my children do. I feel if they need them you should get them. Why would you not? I feel bad because I didn't have my older son checked sooner. He got his glasses at age five. His vision was horrible. So after I took him I made an appointment right away for my other son who was two. Guess what? He needed glasses. I also have been taking my DD since she was six months. So far she is good. I take all of them to a pediatric Ophthalmologist. I would recommend parents taking their children to one instead of an optometrist.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have two in glasses and one who might need them in a couple of years. The oldest is 5.

First of all, why in the hell are you taking the word of a school nurse? She's not an opthamologist. And the eye doctor you took her to, was he a pediatric specialist?

So she's a little farsighted and has an astigmatism. That's not uncommon. I have one with Strabismus, one with Amblyopia who already had surgery on four muscles and might need it again, and the third might need glasses once he's in school but doesn't right now in preschool. A friend of mine had to get glasses for her 9 month old because he was SO farsighted he couldn't see his toys.

I really don't understand the big deal. They need to be able to see, they need to have correct vision to do well in all areas of life and glasses help them with that. It's better than the alternative of them going blind from their sight not being treated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Its no big deal, my dd is in the 4th grade and had to get bifocals last year and if they see no improvement over this next yr they are sending her to a specialist. My oldest and only son has been wearing glasses since 6th grade, and my middle daughter had to wear glasses for reading for a couple yrs but not any more. I'd rather them have glasses than to go thru life not being able to see anything as clearly as they should. I got my glasses in 6th grade and apparently needed them long before that, I didnt know what individual blades of grass looked like!! It would be selfish to NOT put the kids in glasses if they needed them :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My 6yo already wears glasses. She's severely farsighted and has worn them since she was 18 months old. She's adorable and when she doesn't have them on she looks strange. In fact we call her "strange girl" when she's not wearing them.
    Seriously, it's not a big deal. She loves her glasses and thinks she is cute in them (helps that everyone is always telling her how cute she is). I think she's the only one in her class (1st grade) with glasses.
    If I was told one of my other kids needed glasses I would just get them and that would be it. I've worn glasses since the 4th grade (that would be 22 years now). It's just not a big deal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• if your child needs glasses and you do not get them it can cause more harm I have worked for a optometrist for eight years I have seen it happen plenty of times and I am not sure why people are saying take them to a ophthalmologist not a optometrist they do the same thing except surgery if there is something they can not handle or they need surgery then they can be sent to a opthalmologist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm the one who said it, not other people. That's just my opinion. An optometrist does not do the same as an Ophthalmologist.

An Optometrist is not an M.D. , they are not medically trained.  After my kids see their Ophthalmologist they will then go to the Optometrist in the same office or we can choose to go elsewhere for their glasses. An Ophthalmologist is more likely to find medical issues because they have the equipment to do so.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Dd just got glasses in July, she is 9. She was so excited to finally be able to see! Both dh and I wear contacts, so it isn't surprising that she needed them. The styles are so cute and funky for little girls now, she got a High School Musical pair and a Hannah Montana pair, she looks awesome!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 6:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• There is a huge difference between an optometrist and an opthamologist! (and I'm not talking about an optician who makes/fits the glasses either) If you work for one, you should know the difference!

An optometrist will work to correct vision with glasses...that's it. An opthamologist works to correct the EYE if it can be corrected. They are better trained and more knowledgeable. Why the heck start with an optometrist then end up seeing the other instead of just starting with the better trained one in the beginning?!

An optometrist put my niece in glasses because she was slightly farsighted and she wanted them!!! How nuts is that?!

Not to mention there is a difference between one who deals with adults and one who deals with children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I don't feel anything, it is part of life. Learn to deal with it. Your child will be able to SEE which will be a good thing. I have had glasses since I was 4 years old. My son was in 3rd grade.

BTW, an Optometrist IS a doctor, they just can't prescribe medication like an Opthamologist can. My uncle is an Optometrist and recently became an Opthamologist so he could prescribe meds. He is a doctor, I say the licenses in his office. He has all the equipment and knowledge to know and diagnosis issues with the eyes, he cannot perform surgery though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes an Optometrist is a Doctor of Optometry, an O.D. not an M.D. like an Ophthalmologist.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009