Do babies really eventually put themselves on a schedule??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked to get my son on a flexible schedule, but it was based on his cues. So yes. I fed him on a 3 hour schedule when he was a newborn, but let him sleep at night, would resume schedule in the morning. And then his naps just came to be when he seemed tired, which settled into a fairly predictable pattern. But I have a fairly predictable schedule - I run errands at the same time everyday, I take him for a walk at the same time everyday, we eat at the same time. And I think that helped him settle in to a schedule as well.

Answer by missanc at 1:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes both my babies put themselves on a "schedule", this takes a while. When they are around 2 months old you will notice that there is a schedule evolving.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes, they do. You just have to be patient. Don't expect it in the first six weeks or so...but sometime shortly after that they'll develop a routine.

Until the teeth start bothering them. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Well, kinda...Before 6-8 wks, I'd say definitely not, but around that time I started trying to be consistent with my DD"s bedtime routine. I was able to make her last nap bedtime by the time she was about 12 wks or so and now she's 6 mos. and goes to bed/bathes/becomes ready for this at around 5:30pm every night. She's very regular. She hasn't started teething yet, though, so who knows what happens after that). I just paid attention to her crankiness and tried to work her sleeping into a schedule based on it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 5:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2009