Removing bad influences?

My son is 7 almost 8. He has a friend that is a bad influence. The child is disrespectful. The child hates school and is not shy about proclaiming it. My son is somewhat of a follower. How do I remove this bad influence?

DawnMK27

Asked by DawnMK27 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I disagree, I think that you do have a lot of influence and power over your child. You can turn things around, you can give your child the power of not succumbing to peer pressure of becoming a follower.

Try the boys town website, they have plenty of materials designated to help parents take charge over their kids choice of friends and making them resilient to this kind of acquittance because they learn that the other kid is not good friend material only an acquittance. Look Boys Town on internet they have so much information to empower parents to give their kids the tools to be more selective when choosing friends. Good luck, mama, you can do it. I applaud you for stating involved and for been a vigilant parent looking up for your child's best interest.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• theres not much you really could do unless you want your child upset that you took away his friend. You could always explain that children that don't like school are usually the ones that don't try and don't do well on homework and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I don't think it's really possible to completely remove this influence unless you take your son out of that school, but I think maybe you should have a talk with your son about how he doesn't have to agree with everything this boy says. And maybe you could set up a playdate type thing with another boy in his class? And talk to him about making other good friends? But in a gentle way.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 1:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• how about you just look for a book on it i have the whole joy berry collection and whenever my son does something crazy i just tell him to remember the book about the little girl being rude,they have so many and lazy is one,im sure your library has them.i think i would just remind him that maybie noone cares if the little boy does his homework but you do because your a very attentive mom.let him know how some people are too lazy to accoplish or try but your sure glad he is not one of them.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• At this age you do have control. You may not remove what happens at school but you can certainly decide who you have over on the weekends or who you allow him to hang out with outside of school. Explain your reasoning with him. He can still be friends with this boy but until you see some change there won't be anything outside of school. Good luck!
    lradant

Answer by lradant at 1:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009