What is unschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in

• uneducating
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Basically: child-led education. In other words, you take a child's interests into consideration and build a plan for them to learn all their "subjects" using their interests.

For example - a child is REALLY into pirates. Using pirates as the focal point, you could study classic literature (Treasure Island), math & economics (the currency & exchange rate of the time), geography (where did Black Beard bury his treasure?), world culture & religion (what native peoples did the pirates encounter?), science (using astonomy as navigation), history (pirate battles, historical figures of the time, how pirates made a difference), life skills (how did pirates survive for months w/o seeing land?), etc.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• wow thats an interesting concept. I neverr thought of delving that deep into a single subject before. That sounds really neat.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 7:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• At six, my son loved maps and globes. We studied a different country every month, including history, music, literature, folktales, animals, geology, sites of interest, famous people, religion, art, and much more. Math including calculating distances and comparing populations. We spent over two years pursuing his interest in depth.

When he later grew interested in the solar system, we delved into it with the same passion. It's amazing how many different aspects you can see.

An interested child is a learning child.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• why answer, anon, when you don't know what you're talking about?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:35 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Unschooling is about helping your children follow their own interests & a passions. It is based on the idea that where there is interest, passion and enthusiasm, there is always the opportunity for deep & long lasting learning. Such an interest based lifestyle leads to more varied learning opportunities & a "tailor made" education that no school (public, private or home) can offer. If you are interested in learning more about it, may I suggest you read books by John Holt or John Taylor Gatto or check out some of the unschooling websites such as this one: http://joyfullyrejoycing.com/
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:34 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• I did this last year as my first year of home schooling my middle schooler. This year will be a bit more structured because we are moving into higher algebra and computer programs. They do this in regular school to a point. However it is the teacher or school that decides the subject. With unschooling it is the child who decides. Resulting in a higher interest level. We used his favorite movies Harry Potter, The Mummy, Indiana Jones, The Water Horse, Pirates of the Caribbean . It was/is a great tool to teach Geography, Math, Trade, Culture, Books based in the region of different settings and/or filming locations. I have always used this technique to teach my son even when he was in school. When A Bug's Life came out we studied insects. We even used his favorite movie Nightmare Before Christmas to study Halloween /Samhain and Christmas origins and traditions.
    It makes a child excited to learn.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 7:16 AM on Sep. 7, 2009