Do dogs act up with new baby

My beagle has been acting strange. She is not wanting to go outside or eat. She will eat every now and than. Her nose is wet, so I know she is not too sick. Is it possible she is depressed because of the new baby, or can she be sick, she is not losing weight, and she still wags her tail, she just is "acting out".

kaileymom25

Asked by kaileymom25 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pets

• She is probably just acting up, dogs will do that with a change in routine. Just try to keep things as "normal" as possible and try to give the dog as much individual attention as you did before the baby came home. :) Good Luck
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• is she acting protective of you and/or the baby?
    was she acting different when you were pregnant?
    our lab knew i was pregnant and did act very protective of me when i was pregnant she liked to be near me and after our baby was born, she growled if another day got close to baby
    she was extremely loyal and trustworthy around our baby and she is 13, i never heard her growl before just other dogs near her human baby
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• all dogs react different my lab/masstiff would be on my kids floor before he was even born, then once he was here she would try to push her way in and him out, but now that he is mobile they are besst friends.
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When a dog loses his/her appetite its more than just acting up.. Its something serious. If it continues and he/she begins losing weight have her checked out immediately.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When our baby was born, our dog started to pee all over the house. I assumed it was a behavior issue - trying to establish his territory with the new roommate. I was finally at my wit's end and took him to the vet to get some advice. It turns out he had a pretty serious urinary tract infection. Once we got it cleared up, he was fine. So I'd take doggie to the vet, because whether it's an illness or a behavior issue, your vet can help.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My dogs pretty much ignore my new baby other than licking his feet every now and then. I never leave them in the room alone just in case though. If your dog is acting up, you should take it to the vet first to make sure its healthy and then maybe spend some extra companion time with him or her to make sure they know theyre still loved.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 1:35 AM on Sep. 6, 2009