Blended families\Ex's

Do you get invited or just invite yourself to your step kids school orientation parent conferences shoppong etc when you husband goes if the ex will be there? if you r the ex how does it make you feel when the new wife goes to everything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• We share parenting pretty equally with my husband's ex. More often that means splitting the responsibilities like teacher-conferences and shopping rather than sharing them, but it is a small town and we do have the same basic circle of friends, so we usually do all end up at all the school events and a lot of the same social functions. Her mom and I get along well. She knows that I'm a good mom and take care of my stepdaughter like my own. I like her and respect her as a parent too, although I think I'd like her more if I didn't have to deal with her and DH's dysfunctional dynamics on the level that I do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I go.. The ex can kiss my ass! I am part of my stepsons life whether she likes it or not! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I am on the other end. My ex hates it that my husband comes to all the parent conferences, PTA meetings, basketball games, etc, but that's tough - my husband is their stepdad, he is a part of their life and they want him there. The kids are more important than the adults.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• We have a very blended family and I am very involved in everything that has to do with my stepson. I attend parent teacher conferences, sign homework or school papers, I'm on all school paperwork and more recently I registered him for school. His teachers even call me first, before his bio mom or dad, if they need to reach us for anything. Unfortunately, his mom pushed him to the side over the past few years and made a lot of bad lifestyle choices, and now when she attempts to get involved, it doesn't last too long. As for his dad meeting up with his mom, I totally trust him to be alone with her, but he very rarely puts himself in the position to be around her, without me there. If anything, I feel sad, and angry, for my stepson, because he has to grow up like this, without the closeness of his mom. She should want to be there enough that she would want to change her ways!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I always went but his bio-mom didn't care. She had nothing to do with him unless he was physically in her presence. She is a terrible mother and she hated that I took such an active role in her son's life. Well if you don't like it, start acting like his mother!!! HELLO?!?!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I go if I am invited by my husband and his ex which is usually every time now. I am not my step kids mom so I don't overstep those boundaries. Could be why I am invited now and her and I get along so well. When we first were married I was excluded from many things and I was OK with that. I knew the ex needed to get to know me and I let her know from day one I would respect her as the kids mom and to let me know where I can help her and my husband with the kids. She thanked me and after a few months we had lunch and discussed my role as a step mom. Her and my husband decided what that role I would play in their kids life. I am very involved and love the kids. We put the kids best interests first and when you do that you will get along with the ex or step mom. I feel sad for kids that don't have that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I am not currently married but my BF does have a daughter with his ex wife. I have only ever had the chance of going to one of her events. I went to her preschool graduation ceremony, we expected her mother to be there and to cause all sorts of holy hell for us. but she didn't even show up to her graduation ceremony. You would think that the mom would want to be there when her daughter graduates preschool but no she didn't at all.
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009