Has anyone installed laminate flooring?

That glueless lock in kind that looks like wood? We want to get rid of the linoleum in the kitchen and the carpet in the dining room and put it in. The dogs coming in the back doors (french doors in the dining room) is just leaving this awful trail that I want to get rid of and I HATE the linoleum in the kitchen. We have only been here a year and I have tolerated it long enough. We want to do it ourselves because it's much cheaper and when I say ourselves . . I mean dh and FIL! lol Is it as easy as it looks on tv?

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I work for a flooring company and we have a brand called Quick-Step laminate flooring. Take a look at their website at http://us.quick-step.com. When I first started working for this company, I had no idea laminate flooring could look like this! This website will help you find a retailer near you. (Retailer Locator) I know that most people go to Lowe's or Home Depot, but now being in the industry I would recommend going to a flooring retailer. They will answer ALL of your questions and concerns and are really educated about what would be best for you. Whereas at Home Depot or Lowe's..they really aren't the experts. Flooring Retailers can also recommend an installer if you don't want to do it yourself. One more thing, Quick-Step has a video on youtube that will help you with installation. The link to that is...www.youtube.com/quickstepfloors.

Good luck and don't worry..it will be gorgeous when it is done!
    DivaMom841

Answer by DivaMom841 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes it's easy to do and it doesn't take very long to do. I love mine we have dogs so that was the main reason we did ours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Anon, how much did it cost you and what square footage did you have? (If youdon't mind my asking)

Oh and how did you decide what color? I want the kind that looks like several colors all mixed. We have very light cabinets, so I want the floor to be darker, but not dark . . . I don't want it to clash.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my mom had her floor put in but I watched the guys do it and you pretty much just click it into place. She got it 2 shades darker than her cabinets and it looks really good.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Sorry I can't remember how much we spent it's been a couple years. My husband is the one who takes care of all the footage, lol i'm just the one carrying the debit card. I tried calling my hubby at work to get some info but he must be too busy to pick up the phone. We did our upstairs bedroom which is pretty big, down two halls and a big loft area which could be a third room. So we did a lot of area. We like the rustic look so we went with that style, it turned out beautiful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Hi
    We bought our flooring from someone on craigslist. i think it was maybe $700.00. our house is a small 3bdr 2bath, living room, kitchen, dining room. we put the laminate on every room except bathrooms and kitchen (tiled).

Then we had left over, so we sold that for $200.00. We did have to buy the adhesive and roller.

Overall, it seemed easy. You have to be patient, and wait to put your fruniture back in (like, 3 days). Our bedroom was in the living room for a while. Also, start with a not so important bedroom to get the hand of it. I love the way itlooks. My husband did it all, (I was 7m pregnant, he wouldn't let me help). I think we may get more of our garage.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• DH and nephew put this in our old house, in a sunroom and entry hall. Maybe about $300, I'd check Lowe's and Home Depot for pricing. I have Pergo in my kitchen, it looks great and is durable but hard to clean, streaks very easily. Pergo is also very expensive! It is easy to put in, it is called a "floating floor" because you don't glue it down, it kind of just floats abouve your exisiting flooring. You will have to also purchase underlay, which is rolls of thin foam material that goes between your existing floor and the new laminate. The blocks sound and gives the laminate more of a cushion. It also helps control temperature. Good luck!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I've helped hubby do it. It's not too bad, just time consuming. I got mine at floor store that's sells it wholesale. It was $1.29 a sq foot but can be as little as $.79 at this store. Best prices I found where I live. I love the way it looks. We were able to buy samples and return them once we decided on the floor we wanted.

Don't forget to budget in the "extras" such as 10% extra for waste/cutting/errors, the baseboard cordaround (sp?), and the reducers that go in the doorjams to seam between the room and the hallway or other room. Plus you'll need the padding and installation tools and something to cut it with since you are doing it yourself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Anon 2:42 - It is baseboard quarter-round, I knew what you were talking about! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I want laminate in my entire upstairs, too! I don't think DH and I should attempt to do it ourselves, though. We are not very patient people...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009