Seeking moms' advice....to enroll or not to enroll...

I currently work full time, and our 3 year old is in daycare full time. In November, I will be taking 9 months of maternity leave to have our second child. My son will be home with me also. A nursery school in our development offers 2.5 hour sessions three days a week. I am torn as to whether to enroll our son or not. I don't want him to miss out on time with kids his own age, yet I feel like I should keep him with me. He always talks about how he gets to stay home with Mommy and "baby sister"....any advice would be great! Thanks!

TiffaniR

Asked by TiffaniR at 1:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would enroll him. He will still have the other 21.5 hours/day and the other two days of the week at home with Mommy and baby sister. It will give you time alone with your newborn, and give him some time alone without the newborn, which from experience will be very beneficial to him. Also, since you will have had time alone with your newborn while he was in school, when he gets home you might be able to spend just an hour or two with him while your baby sleeps. I think it's a great opportunity for both of you.

Answer by missanc at 1:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• its only for a few hours.. thats what i just went through also my 4 year old son just had a sister august 30 school started august the 25th..(my due date).. so he wanted to help out and stay home but he must go to school and learn cause just think of it as if he was in real school like kindergarden or something!
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 1:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Two and a half hours, 3 days a week sounds great. Thats another term for mothers morning out around here. I think that you will need it. Ive always been one to keep my child at home with me for as long as possible and I hate daycare, but I dont think you should feel guilty at all about this. You will need time to get adjusted to your schedule with the new baby and he needs the time away too. Hes not going to get ALL of your attention and this might help him get through the jealousy phase better. I think it will be good. Good luck with your choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I don't see why he needs to go if you are there. Maybe you can talk to some of the parents at his daycare and see about arranging a playdate for him with some of his classmates if he tells you he misses his friends or you can ask him after a week or two if he'd like to have a playdate with a particular classmate.

I am not bashing working moms here by any means, sometimes they have to work as there is no other alternative, but my feelings on this are "if we have free time to spend with our children enjoy it now, because sooner or later they turn into teenagers and then adults and you've missed out on the really fun years together when they WANT to be with you". He may also begin to harbor jealousy towards his "baby sister" if she is getting all your attention and you are sending him away two or three days a week. Enjoy your time with your children now, you have the rest of your life to enjoy work. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Enroll him. It's only a few hours, a few days a week. At 3, especially since he has been in daycare, he will still enjoy those peer interactions!!! I take my 13 month old to play groups twice a week now, hour and a half a session, and feel it's well worth it. And when I have the next baby in a couple months, will cont to take him to get him around others.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• put him in to start with. that's what i did for the first month when baby was born. now i have both kids at home full time, since i'm still on maternity leave
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i would say put him in and see how it goes. It probably won't be a problem for him and it gives you time with the new baby. We decided against putting our 3yr old in preschool this year because i'm due anytime and am having a c-section and won't be able to get around to well the first little bit and they told me if she missed more then a week with out a doctors note that they would take her off the list and give her spot to someone else.
    EJsHottMama

Answer by EJsHottMama at 2:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009