toddler beds/potty training question?

At what age did you move your child out of the crib and into a toddler bed?

Also, what is the best age to start potty training? My son is 16months and we have just started to read and talk about the potty and some people think I'm crazy because he is too young. Any opinions?

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd is a bit over two, has is not potty trained, i bought home a potty chair around 16 moths, kept it in livingroom close to bathroom where she could sit on and get used to it, she liked it and then lost interest, just lately she is into it again, i put it in bathroom close to the big potty, also got a padded topper for the big potty, she does not want to sit on there yet, today after bath she sat on her little potty naked and it was totally her idea to, she did not tickle but wanted the yatsee game that we keep on the back of the big potty to play when things take awhile to surface. it was cute, she on her little potty playing the hand held yatee game like her dad
    so she is on the way, she will do at her own rate, i do not believe in making them at early age, my sister had her younger one trained at 18 months but then she decided to not do it anymore & it took longer than her first who she did not push, intro 2 potty ok
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• We started my 15 month old potty training when she was 12 months. She is almost totally done now, but EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT. And I also heard boys take longer than girls.

I was told by the pediatrician that you should move your little one from a crib to a toddler bed when they are able to climb out by themselves or if they are not climbing out sometime after they are 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I moved my kids from the crib to a regular twin bed with a side rail at 2, because I wanted to skip the whole toddler bed thing - just an extra expense.
    As far as potty training, it's very different for every child. Watch for signs of readiness, if you push too early it just won't work.

Answer by missanc at 2:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes every child is different,however I am a preschool teacher and I specialize in Potty training, my advice to you i if you feel comfortablewith it let her see you go to the bathroom so she can see mommy does it so it must by ok, rewards are a big must whether it be a sticker chart, or m&m's gummie bears etc... and after so many tries or actually goes she gets to do something fun that she likes or a special movie. I use sticker charts, every child in my class even if still in diapers, if they sat on the potty they get a sticker, and if they actuallly go they get 2 stickers. Kids in daycare/preschool will start copying what their friends do and if they see their friends going "potty on the big potty" then they are more likely to want todo it. Keep in mind that BM's are a difficult process and take more caoxing. They usually will go potty about !/2 hr. after they eat or drink. Consistancy in a MAIN key. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT
    Shelley300

Answer by Shelley300 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My daughter is now 19 months and we started potty training her at 17 months, and she is doing fantastic, she uses the potty without prompting when we are at home or if she is at daycare. She wears regular underwear (which means a lot of laundry at the beginning, but it will eventually ease up and I think it is cheaper than pullups).
    I found that some potty training videos like "once upon a potty" and the elmo potty training song (both are viewable on youtube if you don't want to buy them) are helpful because they have catchy songs and keep her attention.
    But every kid is different and it will take some longer than others to get the idea. The most important thing is CONSISTANCY! Kids have a short attention span so you have to remind them a million times a day (even if it seems like they are ignoring you) to use the potty, it will eventually sink in. If you decide to start potty training, don't give up, see it through!
    EODMommy

Answer by EODMommy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• As far as using a toddler bed, since my daughter is potty training before the age of 2, I switched from a crib to a toddler bed (I have a convertable crib) after my daughter started using the potty fairly consistantly and made sure a potty chair was available in case she had to go in the middle of the night. We still have accidents but they are getting fewer and fewer. But I made sure that she could climb in and out without any problems or without assistance before I switched it.
    Be aware though, that toddlers do not like change therefore when you do switch to a toddler bed don't get discouraged if your son has trouble sleeping for the first few nights. maybe you could try to just have it in the room for a few days before you take the crib away so he can get used to it being there first, or make a show of putting his teddy's to "bed" in it.
    EODMommy

Answer by EODMommy at 3:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Every child is different, and they will be ready for different steps at different times. That being said, most boys do not start potty training until about two or three. There are several signs you can look for that will let you know they are ready- noticing when they pee or poop, disliking the feeling, showing interest in actually using the potty, being able to take off and put back on their own pants, staying dry for longer periods of time.
    My son will be three in October, and we started potty training the beginning of this summer. In August we moved our son to a toddler bed. He is still working on the potty training, but the toddler bed has been a great adjustment.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 3:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009