Disabled Parking....

So I was wondering. If you yourself are not disabled but your child is do you still have a disabled parking card? My Son is in a wheelchair and we do not have a disabled parking card. I just feel since I am capable of walking I rather free up that space for someone else that really needs it. I don't mind parking and walking but my Husband thinks we should have one and that it would be a lot easier. So what are your thoughts if you have one?? How easy is it to get one and is it really that helpful? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Health

• I live with a disabled person. He wants a disabled sign for parking. I found out through the MA DMV that you have to OWN a vehicle to have one. So it would look like a child wouldn't get one.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My sister has one for her son....his wheelchair is so heavy and he's getting so much bigger and heavier that it's just easier for her to park closer....especially if you get a wheelchair lift on your van or vehicle, they don't usually fit in a regular parking space....I think she got hers through the special needs clinic that they go to....still through the DMV....it may vary from state to state I don't know.. we're in Texas
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I live with a disabled person and that person has a hang tag. The tag goes with him into whatever vehicle he is traveling.

Check with your doctor. Just because you have a card/tag/plate doesn't mean you have to use it...that you HAVE to park in handicap parking. But you would have it in case it was just a bad day overall and your kid could use a shorter trip.

I say to check with the doctor because they are the ones who have to do the initial paperwork. You can get temp. hang tags that have to be renewed every couple of years, or a permanent hang tag. To get a plate, yes the disabled person has to own that vehicle. But not to get a hang tag.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

That is NOT true! The plate goes with the vehicle but the hang tag goes with the child. You can get either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Anonymous 2:03..........That's what I thought, after all, that would make sense....to have a tag to carry. However, we checked yesterday and that was their answer.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009