Were the mothers who spank their children spanked when they were little?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I was a bit of a problem child and got my butt whooped...but I thank my mom for that every day now! I am a respectable adult and a great mother. I only spank as a last resort because I do believe she took out aggression on us kids at times, but other than that she did a great job with discipline. To this day I will never talk back to authority or disrespect my parents.
    Princefan6684

Answer by Princefan6684 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes. But I remember only being spanked three or four times my entire life. Same with both of my siblings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• probably
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yes, wasn't always the best child when it came to listening. Don't discipline out of anger though, that is not good.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think they are unable to stop the cycle of violence or lack the tools to implement more effective discipline methods. Somebody who wasn't speanked, was respected will hardly think that spanking is okay.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I spank occassionally. And no I wasnot spanked as a child. I was belted, whipped with green tree branches, had leather dog leashes taken to my butt but no never spanked with a hand.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yes I was spanked, and I admit I have spanked also, but there is a difference between spanking your child and beating your child, a spank should be to snap the child out of it, not to hurt them
    Anonymous

• I was never spanked. I come from a family of 8 kids. None of us were spanked. We all spanked out children though. My mother gave us the silent treatment instead. We would have rathered been spanked.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you for the honest responses. Psychology books say that the cycle never ends. I guess the Books are correct. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I was spanked...mainly as a last resort. I was never abused nor beaten...no marks or bruises. I do spank my children as well. They do not get a spanking for every thing they get in trouble for, only for pretty serious things. I'd say they get a spanking once or twice a year.

And bebita, we utilize a variety of discipline methods in our home, and spaking does happen to be one of them. However I would surely not say that it was violence when used as it should be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009