Giving birth alone?

My husband is going to be at basic training and AIT for 5 months and I'm due on Christmas, so although he will get a Christmas break, there is a possability he won't be here for the birth of our second child. I don't really feel comfortable having anyone else in the delivery room so I have decided if he can't make it I would rather just do it on my own with the nurses and doctor. Has any other mom had to do this and how did it go?

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had my 2nd child with a midwife while my hub sat at home with our son. It was my choice and later on I wished that I would have asked for someone to be there with me. If you aren't comfortable having someone else there then thats up to you babe. I didn't have anyone else to ask which is why I didn't have anyone there. It was pretty lonely but I did all natural so I was distracted for the better part of my stay there, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wow....I had my hubby and my own mom in there. Wanted my mom there and want her there for the second one too. That's a lot of support, your mother is a different kind of support than your husband. And we are military, so lucky he was here for first and will be in the next couple months for the second.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i would consider hiring a doula to be there for you if it's that you wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone you know in there. and if you have the money. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yeah u should really consider having someone in the room with u cause now u might think its gona be easier (if ur husband cant be there) alone but its ur choice just give it a thought over the next couple months in case...good luck!
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 2:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Did it myself twice. Had dad on speaker phone when baby was actually delivered so even though he wasn't there physically he heard that first cry and got all the info. it's fine. You can do it and when the time comes you tend not to care so much. Call him first chance you get or if you're lucky they can get him on speaker phhone for you.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Whatever a mom feels most comfortable with is best for her.
    I love doing it alone (without anyone, doctors, midwife, etc.), actually.

But if you think you might like some support (that can leave anytime), consider a birth doula. IF you need continuous support she'll be there. If you don't want her she can walk out. Nurses come and go, change shifts... a birth doula is the same person start to finish (from early on at your house through postpartum) even if it takes 3 days.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2009