Do you know how to keep apple slices from browning?

I'm trying to add a variety of fruits to my son's school lunch, but he is so picky. He likes applesauce and grapes, both of which are easy to send to school, but he gets bored of having them all the time. He likes apples, but he likes them sliced. Is there any way for me to send them to school with him at 8:30 a.m. and keep them from browning by 12:40 p.m.?

He also likes nectarines and plums too. Do they have browning issues when cut as well?

Thanks for your help!!

mommytoadam

Asked by mommytoadam at 1:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • put lemon juice on them...sprinkle some drops in a container and shake it around to coat them.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Lemon juice. I know that sounds funny, but if you add a little lemon juice to the baggie of apples they will stay fresh. I know know about the others..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Paula Deen has said on her foodnetwork show that lemon juice will keep apples from turning brown. I'm not sure about plums and nectarines. Sorry that I can't be of more help!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• lemon juice, just a little bit. and i know plums turn a little bit same thing as with the apples, dont know about nectarines my dd doesnt eat them they make her belly hurt so...but dont put enough to ruin the flavor just a little bit of the lemon juice
    Anonymous

• not sure about the plums and nectarines, but for apples, immediately after you slice them dip them in lemon juice , maybe you've noticed how apples are not brown in like the happy meals or at subway? its because they use a chemical version of this method so I don't always get them those, but the lemon juice works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Lemon juice does work on most fruits.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Thank you all so much! I can't believe how fast you wonderful ladies answered my question!! I'm going to slice up an apple now and dip them in lemon juice and see how much longer it lasts!!

Thank you all again! :-) You all rock!!
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 1:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• For apples you can also use pineapple juice or salt water! Not sure about the others though!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yeah, lemon juice. I thought that was common knowledge. My mom always did that when we were kids.
    Nectarines and plums should survive in a sealed container/baggie until lunch with no special treatment. Better if you keep the lunch box cold. My kids are notorious for eating half of their fruit and leaving it on the table for my 3yo to eat hours later. Nectarines and plums last pretty long on the table, lol.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009