Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you have to hire a lawyer...

to get custody of your child/grandchild ?

how much did it cost you to ratain a layer? and what did it cost in the end?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • I did hire an attorney. But she handled my divorce and custody kind of at the same time, so I'm not sure I have a really good breakdown. Her retainer was only $3K, but I ended up spending around $8500, most of that for the custody. But my ex put all kinds of roadblocks in the way, continued the case about a million times, etc. The divorce he couldn't do much about, but the custody, he did everything he could to put me through H*!!.

    Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • Could you really continue a case over and over? what would be a good reason for this? and did your ex have a lawyer as well?

    Do grandparents have the same rights as parents? this is my situation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • I'm not sure about grandparents - I would think they have some rights, but probably not the same as parents. Most attorneys have a free consult where you could go and ask them.
    My ex is a control freak. He had a bypass 5 years ago and has known he had to have a stint for a couple years now - it just so happens that he scheduled that on a date when the court case was schedule for. That was one time. A 2nd time he told the judge that he thought we could work it out if we went to mediation (which was a lie, we'd been on the phone the night before for hours trying to come to an agreement). And then the courts here are just incredibly backed up - I've been trying to get him back in court to amend the custody (I want more time), for over a year now and don't have a date scheduled until November!

    Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • oh - my ex has had an attorney on and off - sometimes yes, sometimes, no. He's a deadbeat and doesn't work (by choice), so only when he could afford it.

    Answer by missanc at 2:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • If he does not work, does he pay child support and has the court done anything about this?

    Do you two have joint or shared custody of the child?

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

  • If you are a grandparent you better get a really good lawyer, unless the parents are doing something harmful for the child. My MIL talked to a lawyer because she wanted court ordered visitation. He told her forget it it's not going to happen

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
Sauna session

Next question overall (Teens (13-17))
15 yr boy! Help