OMG I only filled out part of my census and they are calling me!!

What should I tell them? I only filled out the number of rooms number of people and a few other things but that's all. I am afraid I am going to fold and cave if I call them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In the Constitution, you are required to tell them how many people live there. That's it.

Tell them to read it.
    Ask them to legally justify their questions.

I worked for the Census last time - 10 years ago - and there was a terrific outcry about the fact that they were asking for the voluntary information of people's ethnic origin !
    MANY people refused to answer, or had fun putting in things like "chrysanthemum; klingon" etc.
    You can check, but I don't THINK they went to jail
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I only filled out part of mine as well. I haven't rvd a phone call yet. Hmmmm from what I understand you only have to fill out how many people, how many rooms etc but I am not possitive about that. I am interested in what everyone has to say as well .. good luck
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I don't know for sure, but I think you are only required, by law, to tell them how many people live in your house. You might have to call to find out for sure.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What are you freaking out about? Why did you only fill it partially out? It wasn't that hard and it's illegal NOT to fill it out if you get one. Are you hiding something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Sorry, the above sounds rude now that I'm re reading it. Really just curious as to why you didn't fill it out and why it's such an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• OP here: I believe it was way too invasive. They wanted information that myself and my hubby are(were) not at all comfortable in filling out. ie: how much we make, social security numbers for everyone, how much we have in investments, what our gross income was last year. That is way more than I am comfortable giving out to people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You are not legally required to tell them anything beyond who lives in the house. Tell them that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It is not illegal not to fill it out. You are only required to give the number of people.

Tell them to go pound sand.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I guess I spent too much time in a military setting. You have to give more than that up just to cash a check. I'm exaggerating of course but years of writing my SSN on everything government related and a plethora of background checks later, that stuff just doesn't phase me anymore.

I can see how it would though. So far as I know, the whole thing had to be filled out. Sorry I can't be more help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Here you go hun this is all you have to tell them Hope it helps.

Today, the controlling law for the U.S. Census is Title 13 of the U.S. Code. There is a lot of census data collected in the United States today, such as economic figures, sales and production figures, and agricultural statistics. Still, the head count is the only part of the census that is called for by the Constitution. The code for the enumeration can be found in 13 USC 141. In this code, the census is directed to be taken in 1980 and every ten years thereafter, and that the count is to be taken on April 1. Con't
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009