Have any of you had a hard life or anything really bad happen to you?

Sometimes I feel so selfish. I have had a pretty good life. I am a only child. I pretty much got everything that I wanted until high school. My parents didn't have too much money then. We never went without eating. If we didn't have enough food a neighbor or family member always gave us some. My father was a alcohlic but never beat me or my mother. My husband is wonderful, I have a healthy baby girl, I have a good job, I am in good health, my parents are still alive, I have food and a roof over my head. I feel so selfish because sometimes I think oh I would like a new pair of shoes or outfit, then I think what am I talking about I have other things that are important. Please share you stories with me. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• OP - I think I know where you are trying to go with this question. I have a good life too, great husband, 2 beautiful kids, nice home, etc. I'm able to stay at home full time, but choose to work part-time for my sanity. Not bragging here, just the facts. I talk to my therapist all the time about feeling like I don't deserve it all, and wondering, oh crap, when is it all going to go south. I just can't shake the feeling that I have it good, why me? My best girlfriend and another friend of the family are trying so hard to conceive, and here I have 2 beautiful kids. Why did God give me these kids, this life, these friends? I know that I shouldn't question, and just appreciate what I have, which I do, but sometimes.....PM me if you ever want to talk, I understand where you are coming from!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I cant really say that I have had a bad life, but a tough one, yes. Just to sum it up kinda quickly, I am the oldest of 3 kids, and the only girl, so although I was given a lot growing up, I didn't get the designer clothes like my younger brothers. I got Walmart and Target, (which now I buy all the time!). I was always grounded, where my brothers don't know the meaning of the word. (But I respect my parents more than my bros now). I got pregnant at 18, by an abusive jerk, who is a deadbeat dad, by 20 I developed type 1 diabetes, which causes hurdles you cant even imagine in my life now. My daughter was taken away from me for valentine's day weekend when she was in first grade for accusations that were proven untrue towards a boyfriend, now at 13, she has psoriasis, which is very difficult for her to deal with and there is no cure, I have a beautiful one year old son now, who is the world to me too, but I would like ...
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• everyone has their sad stories, and their happy stories. but theres nothing wrong with you for wanting a new pair of shoes or an outfit. are you kidding me? i want everything. and i want everything for my kids. thats a good selfish. the kind of selfish that motivates me to get up and go to college and a get a good job so i can have a lot of money and get whatever i want for me and my kids.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• another baby and I have been told that I probably should not, becuase of all the issues that developed with the last pregnancy. i now have high blood pressure, and cholesterol, which require meds. We decided staying home, was the thing for me to do with our new baby, and now daddy works and I find myself feeling down because i'm use to contributing more, financially and I hate not being able to buy things if I want to. My friends' wife did my taxes in 2007 and I just got a letter saying I owe 1000 bucks because she made an error, My dh has surgery on wednesday and is expected to be out of work for a few weeks, (no income?!) and on top of it all, I'm sick! But who's complaining!? Lol! Hope that makes you feel better!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Go to the NewComer's Group. There's loads of sob stories on there. It will make you thank God that you're normal and sane.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Let's see, I was psychologically abused by my mother. I became mommy to my little sisters at the age of 10. When I moved back in with my mom (around age 8) I had to become 100% responsible for myself. I would've starved if my one brother hadn't of given me lunch money every day. I wasn't allowed to do a damn thing as a teenager yet was told to go out and do it because my mother had (she was the one telling me to do this stuff but then wouldn't let me when I asked to). She pushed me through school so I could graduate at 15 but I stalled and waited till I was 16. Was forced to start college at 13. Wasn't allowed to go off to college because I might get raped but when I was raped she told me to just get over it because it happens to every girl. When I attempted suicide she kept me from the one person helping me. She interrogated all of my therapists. I never felt safe till I moved out and got married to my husband.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ....wait - You've had this Great life - and no one faults you for that - but what's the point of the question in relation? let's see, my life is so great, so tell me how bad yours is so I can feel superior? What kind of schmuck do you take people for? Maybe you put the question wrong.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• "let's see, my life is so great, so tell me how bad yours is so I can feel superior?"

I TOLD her to go to the Newcomer's Group!!!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my parents used to beat the crap out of me and i was rejected so bad by my mother when i was little that now im in therapy but the icing on the cake was the fact that i was brutally raped when i was 22 by someone i didnt know.there i hope you feel real good about your life right now.cause after everything that is right in my life you know it still sucks cause i have anxiety and panic attacks and suffer from depression.but i didnt write this to build you up..thats your stupid if it did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• life has not been easy for me but i don't look at what my life has been like but what i have in it and whats most important is my family and my religion. some people like you could have all these wonderful things but truly never appreciate them.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009