my 23mth old son only wants to suck on his toothbrush, how do i get him to actually let me help him brush his teeth? I show him how i brush mine and stuff of TV. do any of you mommies have any tricks that I can try?

proudmomma777

Asked by proudmomma777 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter use to do that. What I did was explain to her that I had to brush her teeth FIRST and then she could have her toothbrush (to suck away, LOL). Try it, it might work for you too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yeah, I was going to suggest either you let him "brush" his teeth first and then you help him or you help him first and then let him do it himself afterwards.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I sing her a song. "I open my mouth and what do I see? OOOO a (lion) is peeking at me!" then I say "lets get the (lion)!" and we brush it out. I make the sound of the animal as I do it. She's 16 months and loves it.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 2:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I made it into a game. I told my boys that I saw a monkey in their mouth and I had to get it out with the toothbrush. So as I brushed and moved around to different teeth I would say things like "Oh, he jumped over here!, "That's one fast monkey!" and of course made monkey sounds etc. They got a kick out of it, after a while they would come up to me during the day and tell me that they had a dog or some other animal in their mouth and ask me to brush their teeth. Sometimes they still do and they are 5 and 3 now. Try it, see if it works for you!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree with what the others have said-you take control of the toothbrush first, and your son can have it to practice with when you're done cleaning his teeth. My son loves it when I "brush the dinosaurs out of his teeth". Just so you know, in case you are using oragel-it is merely a practice toothpaste. It doesn't actually clean the teeth or gums, it is just used to get children used to brushing their teeth. If you have a dentist for your child, ask them about getting baby toothpaste with xylitol in it-it is a natural cleanser that children can safely swallow, and it will really clean their teeth.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 3:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• thanks everyone for your advice, i do like the idea about the animals in the mouth. I didnt know that about the oragel, i saw that it said for cleaner teeth so i thought it was regular toothpaste for kids. You guys are great. Its true what they say about kids being different. My dd was so much easier, i showed her once or twice how to brush and she got the idea and let me help her. my ds on the other hand, lol.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009