Constipated 5 Year Old! Help!

My 5 yr old DD has been constipated on and off for weeks. She drinks plenty of water, eats fruits &/or veggies with every meal, and we only eat whole grain breads, pastas, waffles, etc. ... so I don't know what's causing it.

We've tried increasing her water, prunes, broccoli, bananas, and apple juice and she's still constipated. In fact, this morning she told me that her bottom hurts, "where the poopy comes out."

What can I give her? I'd like to avoid using laxatives and stick with the holistic/natural remedies.

Thanks in advance, mamas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Health

• What about lots of movement, that always helped my DD. It turned out that she was drinking too much milk, so she cut down on it and eventually the constipation stopped. Also we tried to have a routine for going to the toilet, a set time of day when we would go and try with her, whilst massaging her back. It could be that she's waiting too long to go when she needs it for the first time.

Good Luck momma.

If none of this helps then maybe take her to the docs?
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 2:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• sprinkle ground flax on everything. If this doesn't clear up soon, she should have a medical evaluation.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• 2 oz grape juice, 2 ounces prune juice, 2 tsp syrup (mix and heat to at least room temp, slightly above is better) drink once a day.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I agree, ground flax seed (can be put in/on anything she eats...cereal, ice cream etc.) and white grape juice, work wonders!
    Trasee

Answer by Trasee at 7:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• A cup of tea. It is natural laxative. I gave this to my son when he was a baby (doc's orders instead of meds) and it worked wonders. I just made a cup of weak tea, let cool to room temp and he drank it and pooped shortly after.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009