Has anyone's school contacted you regarding Sept 8th?

i've seen it online, the news, and cafemom...but heard nothing from the schools. I called my dd's school today (private school) and the secretary said they dont know anything about it, kids wont be watchin it that day. I know it is a private school but havent heard anything about it from our public school in town either.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• whats going on on sept. 8th???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• look under popular posts. Obama is addressing the school children and it is quite a controversy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My husband is a teacher in a Waldorf charter school, so it is public. ... We live in a foaming-at-the-mouth liberal region (just north of San Francisco)

He is bracing for the probability that the teachers WILL insist that the students watch the broadcast and work on the packets in class.

He NEEDS to use his classroom time for LEARNING. So, although he may do it quietly, I think he should write the YouTube or White House link onto the packets and send them home for parents to do with their children if they want to.

I think this is how it OUGHT to be handled anyway - NOT during the school day, away from parents' awareness.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It IS a learning experience. Why doesn't ANYONE get that concept? Yikes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh give it a rest. If it was George W. Bush addressing school children, you republicans would be thrilled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Funny how no one can answer the question...Are schools contacting parents and giving them choice or is it just going to happen on the 8th? This post isnt for or against it...just what info is the school passing out?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I called my DS's school this morning to ask if they were participating and the receptionist said that they are making a determination on it this afternoon and that parents will get a letter in the kid's folder by tomorrow.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

Bush read to our children. He didn't try and use them as tools to further his agenda. IMO though, there is no need for anything political to enter our schools.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yeah, he did such a nice job of reading to them. Notice the book position...
    Photobucket
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• LOL, that picture is pretty funny.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2009