Jewish in the workplace?

My husband is being "exploited" at work. He has to work extra hours and on Saturdays because no one else would.
His coworkers except one are all Jewish (boss is not Jewish).

Can someone please explain why Jewish can not work on Saturday and why they can't even answer the phone for an important work call?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Orthodox Jews do no work on Saturdays. My dad grew up in a Jewish and Italian neighborhood and remembered getting paid to turn the lights off and on by one of his VERY strict neighbors...even that was considered work.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Saturday is the holy day for Jews, the Sabbath. When God forbids them to work at all, it is a day of rest.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• mommatomanyy Thanks How can I convert my family? LOL OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Observant Jews do not ride or do any work from sundown Friday through sundown Saturday. If this is a problem for your husband, then he should start looking for another position.

If you have specific questions regarding Judaism or how to conduct a job search (I do career and job search coaching), please contact me directly.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009