How can I get my toddler to stop playing with the toilet paper?

My 19 month old daughter is potty training and doing extremely well, I don't even have to remind her to use the potty, she does it on her own. The only problem is that instead of using the toilet paper for it's intended purpose she tears it into little pieces and leaves it all over the house. This is not only messy but wasteful.
I don't want to keep it completely out of her reach as I want her to use it to wipe her tushie, so how can I get her to stop using it for entertainment?
Any ideas? Please?

EODMommy

Asked by EODMommy at 2:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you discipline her for it? Time outs for playing with it when it's not in use.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Sense she does not use the TP for it's original purpose. Put it up where she can not reach it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• you can try discipline, but she is at an age where she may not understand it fully.

You may have to just go in there with her until she stops doing it. Is she also washing her hands after she uses the potty every time? Maybe you could distract her from tearing up tissue paper by getting her some fun colored foam soap that she could use after going potty, and that would be more interesting than tearing up toilet paper.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 3:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just leave the wipes for kids there. Those are harder to tear up.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ok a 19 month old not understanding dicipline? thats rediculous! my daughter understood NO before she turned 1! If you dont believe in smacking her hand, put her in Time out and make HER clean the mess. My daughter is 17 months and she picks up after herself and understands if mom says no its no and a time out if she dont listen.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009