Is my baby gassy or what?

Ok so my 5 week old daughter was eating 4 oz & now she's only eating 2 oz & those 2 oz are hard.. she eats on & off instead of all at once... when she takes her breaks its cause she's crying. She's normally never fussy like this. I've given her Mylicon drops, but am not really sure if they're helping. She burps, but I haven't noticed her being gassy otherwise.

The people that watched her from Saturday-Tuesday came down with a stomach virus Wednesday, so I don't know if she's actually sick. She doesn't have a fever. She also didn't have a bowel movement for 2 days & then Wednesday she finally had one.

I dunno... I'm new to all of this.. I have an appt w/ her doctor tomorrow AM, but just didn't know if anybody had any suggestions to last until then..

Thanks!!

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter had colic and would feed kinda wierd. But, she had bowel movements every day or every other day. I have no clue on what it should be with formula. I would consider changing formulas, and also try Gripe water. It works wonders for colic. Is the babies milk cold or warm? I would warm it up. There is also stuff for gas if you think it is gas.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Babies normally have bowel movements every 4-5 days...if she goes over that then you need to start feeling her tummy for lumps (constipation)...How often is she taking the 2 oz? Is it formula? she may be having a hard time with the type of formula you are feeding her or she may just not be very hungry...you may want to talk to the doc about changing and see what they recommend. Just watch that she is getting 8-10 wet (not soaked but damp/moist) diapers every 24 hours...if she is then she's getting enough to eat.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• She's on Similac Sensitive & always has been. She eats every 2-3 hours. Her bottles are room temperate for the pure fact that I end up having to feed her on the go a lot so I don't want her to get used to them always being warm. I know I could get a travel warmer but in all honesty I haven't had time.. I've been back in the hospital twice since having her for complications & am basically doing it all solo while hubby is in Afghanistan. Is it really that important that its warmed? She's never cared before. Now I'm gunna fret about it lol. Thanks for all the input so far!
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009