How do you make dried bread crumbs

Whats the secret? I've got a recipe that calls for "rolling in dryed bread crumbs and baking" I've tried this before and got a weird soggy mess. So whats the secret? I don't want to buy bread crumbs.

tristansmom74

Asked by tristansmom74 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• tear up bread and put it in the oven until it's dried out...usually 300 deg. for 20 minutes
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh, if you want it quicker, I've used the toaster on light setting in a pinch
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• buy them at the store?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I usually just buy them at the store because they come with seasoning already. But I would assume putting the bread in the oven, or toaster would work and then just crunch it up.
    MaKettle87

Answer by MaKettle87 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No one likes the bread ends at my house, so I save them in the freezer until we need bread crumbs. You definitely want to dry the bread out first, either by toasting on a low setting or in a warm oven. You'll know it's ready when it practically crumbles into bread crumbs rather than tearing when you break it up.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I take the heels of my bread loaves and leave them in the oven with the pilot light only until they're dried out (usually overnight). Then I run the bread through my food processor on shred until it's really fine.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2009