I need some advice on the meningitis vaccines for my 12 year old entering JR High?

Karen02

Asked by Karen02 at 3:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We skipped this one, until there was a breakout in the neighborhood where my daughter's school is located. I buckled to the pressure, and had her vaccinated. We did some research, read the insert, and have no regrets.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I opted out of all the 6th grade vaccines and signed a religious exemption. I might consider a tetanus booster, but thats it. No gardasil, no menactra and no varicella. Im very leary of new vaccines and ones that are not well studied. Just my opinion. YOu might have to read the ingredients and then look those up on the net or try one of the no vax groups to get any level of real information other than scare tactics. Good luck. I wish you the best and make an informed decision.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I did the Menactra 2 yrs before mom son's school added it to the list of required shots. He had NO problems with it. Also, a child could be alive one day and the next dead from meningitis, why take the risk. I have no regrets and am a strong beliver in vaccines, so I will always be for vaccines, including flu shots. I think of how my decision affects other people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Um...actually, I think the vaccines are a good idea. There are too mean diseases flloating around out there not to protect our children the best we can while we can.
    I don't take this lightly either...my ten year old son developed Asperger's Disorder after a round of vaccines at 18 months of age...I know the dangers of them...I know what the doctors say, but I also know the research shows very frightening statistics for teens and college age kids for contracting meningitis. The worst part of that disease, is that by the time it's discovered that someone has it, it could be too late. So, your teen could be at high risk for coming down with it even if they do something as innocently as sharing a drink with someone else.
    We're playing around in a very dangerous way by risking the health and well-being of our children by not protecting them from all the diseases out there that we can.
    Why not vaccinate so you have one less fear
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• to live with. There is a good way to prevent kids from contracting a potentially deadly disease. Why not give them this chance at a happy and healthy future. Sure there are always risks involved, but we take a risk every time we take a cough medicine or pain reliever or whatever...
    I think that as long as the kid has a strong immune system and is relatively healthy to begin with, there shouldn't be a second thought on this vaccination.
    The trouble is, with so many children not being vaccinated nowadays, it's putting EVERYONE at risk. Not just other kids, but everyone.
    Again, I know the risks. I live every day with them. Do I wish I could change my son's condition? Absolutely. But, had I not vaccinated him as a baby, his chances for survival and and a healthy life would have been dramatically slashed in half. TMO
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just took my 14yr old daughter in for hers on Tuesday. She is entering High School this year. I am glad I did it before school starts next week.

She is always getting sick, especially when she first goes back to school. She seems to catch every bug out there. Lighthousemom3 is right, by the time they know there is an outbreak, it can be too late. This is a fast acting diseases that could be mistaken for the flu.
    As a matter of fact, when ever my DD gets sick, I check her wrists and ankles for signs of black spots, just cant be to careful.

As for side effects, there is one serious one they say if very rare. Other wise, just soreness at the site, possible fever.

She just had a sore arm, hasnt complained about it today- two days later.

The $115 is worth it and she will be protected for atleast the next 5 years.

If you have questions, just call the CDC
    1-800-232-4636

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh geez...please do some research before giving your child a vaccine that she might not really need. There are only 3000 cases reported each year and of those 300 deaths. There are approximately 50 MILLION people in the 14-24 year old age bracket....There is a very slim chance of your child receiving it. However, there are KNOWN carcinogens in many vaccines...aluminum is in a lot of vaccines (starting to believe there is a correlation to Alzheimer's and other dementia problem's with (aluminum settles in the brain)) Just please do some more research before giving you child vaccines - make an informed decision. And that doesn't mean listening to us on here...do some research first - then talk to your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• I did the menangitis, but that is because I know how quick it can kill and even though the risk is small that they will catch it, there is still a risk that they can. My mom's boyfriends DD was sick they sent her off to bed, checked her a few times, and went to bed, the next morning she was dead. I am not saying it to scare you or anyone else, but since I know how fast it can happen I decided that even a small risk wasn't worth it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:45 PM on Sep. 4, 2009

• anon 9:30, with your stats, that is a 10% DEATH rate and that is HIGH. With Meningitis, a child could be alive and happy one day and the next day DEAD. Why risk your child's life when there is a way to help prevent it? You have your opinion and I have mine, I am sure parents that vaccinate, do research too. Those of us that vaccinate are NOT idiots, we are doing what we feel is right for our children and we think about how our decisions affect others that we come into contact with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• "my ten year old son developed Asperger's Disorder after a round of vaccines at 18 months of age.."

Asperger's doesn't just "Develop" overnight because a round of vaccines given at an 18 month check up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Sep. 5, 2009