Asking homeschoolers...

I got to thinking something about homeschooling and hope you can offer insight. I know the answer varies for each family but how long do you homeschool? Is the transition hard if kids begin formal education at middle or high school level? If your kids showed interest in going to school what would you tell them? Would you let them try it? No bashing please...Im just interested in this topic!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in

• I have a friend who had homeschooled her kids most of their life. Due to personal circumstances she had to go back to work, so she had to put her kids into public school. It's only been three weeks but so far they seem to be adjusting rather well.

I think if the kids don't feel fulfilled socially or academically I dont think it would hurt to try out the p.s. route. I only homeschooled one child and it was only short term, as it didn't work out for him either.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• We are homeschooling through high school. The kids have never been in school. I do not know about transition from homeschooling back to school as we have not experienced that. I do know that the transition from regular school to homeschooling can, sometimes, be difficult (been there! My mom pulled me out of school in the 7th grade) but improves quickly.

If our children showed an interest in public school (which they have) we would speak honestly about what it is like (which we have). They have also talked to many of their friends who are in the schools and they know they don't want to go (they are only 9 and almost 8, not counting our almost 3 year old).

Public school is not an option for us and private school is too expensive. Homeschooling is the only choice. And with education being of primary importance it is not a decision to be made lightly by flighty children. (con't)
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• (con't) As parents it is our job to do what is right for our individual families. For many, that is regular schools. But for us it is homeschooling. We (parents) make the choice of doctors and when to go to the doctor. Parents make the choice of food to ensure a balanced diet. Parents make the choice of activities for our children. And parents make the choice of education. In our family that education is homeschooling and the children do not have a choice in that matter. When they are the adults they will have to make choices every single day. But children are not known for making the best choices or the right ones and we (again, this is our beliefs) believe that choice as far as education is too important a decision to be left in the hands of a child who is easily influenced.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I plan to homeschool 'til college. Of course, anything's possible..... but I don't see them ever going to public school (as long as we live where we do, at least).

I don't know anyone personally who has put an older child into/back into the public school system.... so I can't give any personal insight into that. From the instances I've heard of, though, the transition goes rather smoothly most of the time... and when it doesn't, they just go back to homeschooling.

As for letting my kids "try" public school, that would depend on several factors.... but I don't look for them wanting to try. My kids took a tour of the local school last year - sat in on a class a while, talked to some of the staff, etc --- they have NO interest in attending.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Thank you for all the answers. My reason for asking is my nephews are homeschooled. Their mother is great and does an awesome job with them. They are social and involved in alot, but nothing without their mom. She "manages/monitors" everything. The boys came with us for a week and did well except you could tell they werent used to listening to anyone else, and they werent always go with the flow, because she has sooo much structure. We had open house at the private school and one of my nephews loooved it! He really wanted to go to school. We felt bad for showng them that and the parents have since talked about all the negatives of school so he wants to stay home again. We are all supportive of her choice and praise her work with the boys, but sometimes we have questions and it would be nice for us to see other homeschooled children to gain a better understanding. These answers were very helpful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• We've done some thinking about homeschool several times and we ended up being blessed to have the doors open to send our girls to a private christian school. THIS has been a HUGE transition. Just go to from public to private is like night and day so I can only imagine that homeschool to traditional school is even more of an adjustment. I think the personality of the kids is very important. We've also done private to public and that was not that big of a deal. My dd ended up doing so much better. Now we're going back to private and hopefully for good.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:25 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• This is the 2nd year of home schooling my middle school son. I hope to have him return to PS in high school. However I have one daughter in public HS and I am not sure if this will work for him. He has high functioning autism. The services they offered him in MS were not in his best interests. I quit my job to educate him. Most of it is done online. With myself assigning geography, reading, writing, science projects. He is totally dependant on me. I am his best friend. It is just the way it came to be. I would love for him to have friends his age. However being that we are Pagan, Church and Scouts are out. His motor skills keep him from playing sports. I am looking into a children's theatre group. Yet, I know home schooling is best for MY son because his self esteem is at an all time high. He didn't like being one of the special needs kids. Also I can gear the work to his high intellect. The work was far too easy before.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 6:52 AM on Sep. 7, 2009

• One more thing, I asked him at the start of this year if he wanted to attend school. No thank you was his reply. I think he is really coming into himself. Discovering who is his, what his goals for the future are without peer pressure. If ever he wanted to go back. I would at least give him the chance to try.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 6:55 AM on Sep. 7, 2009