any real estate agents out there?

i'm thinking of taking an online course to get a real estate license. but am a little more curious as to how things work in the actual job field. how difficult is it to start out in that career? normally how does the pay work? i mean is it strictly commission, strictly hourly salary...things like that. just really any advice or words of wisdom about it. thanks

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 3:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I used to have a RE license. Emphasis "used to."

At least here in CA, RE sales are generally strict commission. You don't sell, you don't earn and there's no such thing as a salary. And it takes many hours just to get LISTINGS.

Now, I got my license to do mortgage work...and it was still the same deal. No loan, no money.

Now, if you can devote about 60-80 hours a week to building listings in the beginning, then it's a GREAT gig. My brother has been doing mortgage work for years and is still doing well...but his workweeks are more like 100 hours. Me, I couldn't devote that kind of time and went back to media.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• im not a real estate agent but I do know several. From what I have gathered it is a very cut throat enviroment. depending on the broker that you end up working for you may have a huge up front cost that would cover all of your marketing products etc. After you get set with marketing stuff you need to have leads on listings some brokers will give new agents leads on listings however that listing may belong to the broker not to the agent so the commission if any is smaller but you are geting you name out there. also in most places everything is on commission only so you may bust your butt and not make a sale or aquire a listing. some agents do very very well but many just squeek by and often in the beginning of a career you may not make anything but have expenses going out.
    Good luck
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 3:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Considering the housing market I would put my efforts into something else
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The housing market is fine.If you think mamakirs that were still in a recession well your wrong.I know really good brokers that make really good money.This is the time to buy and sell.It is the best time to buy because of all the forcolesures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I am an owner of a brokerage (mortgage). Please don't tell me we aren't still in a recession lady. I live it as well as my employees. I am not denying that some RE's aren't making good money, but I am willing to bet they haven't just jumped into the field. It isn't necessarily the best time to purchase because the housing market in some of the more "protected" areas has not been hit as hard yet. Hence the word protection. RE agents spend a LOT of money just to get their foot in the door and have to continue to spend money. It is not a good idea at this time with the housing market being hit as hard as it has. For the record the lenders are tightening more guidelines each month making it harder and harder for people to qualify for a loan and house values are dropping as fast Pamela andersons panties..that in part because of the new HVCC rules.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2009