Does your preschooler cry when you drop her/him off at preschool/daycare?

My daughter is three and just started preschool aug 31. the first day she didnt cry when i left her but now every morning when i wake her up she cries the whole time im getting her ready and then cries when im leaving her at preschool.

mrswilliams0988

Asked by mrswilliams0988 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is at more at 4 he doesnt cry at all
    2.tyme.mom-2-be

Answer by 2.tyme.mom-2-be at 3:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• That is very normal. Have you called the daycare after you leave? I bet she stops crying very soon after you exit the classroom. Just make your drop off as quick as possible. The longer you linger, the more likely it will be that she cries.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 3:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my daughter cries all the time. shes been doing it since day 3 of pre-school. she hates getting ready for school and even tried hiding her shoes so she does not have to go. i think this is normal. i think she was used to staying home with me all the time. her teachers say she isolates herself from others and wont interact with her peers. i told them to give her some time and she will crawl out of her box. she can be a stubborn one. so i wouldnt really think anything of it. just a phase im sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• my son cried the first time i dropped him off at daycare, but after that he just gives me a kiss and runs off. it will be ok. alot of kids cry when they get dropped off, then they're fine the whole day, but once they get a glimpse of mommy, they start crying like they've been crying all day. ( i used to be a preschool teacher/daycare provider)

the trick is to drop them off, give a kiss, and leave. don't linger, that just makes it worse. worse on you, the child, and also the teacher. it's hard on the teacher because they're trying to do their job by keeping the child occupied, but at the same time doesn't want to interfere with them going to mommy. interfering would make them look like a "bad person", so the child will take longer to trust them, and sometime mom's aren't too happy with the intervention either. we can deal with children crying, it's the parents that sometimes get in the way of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The pp's are right about lingering. I know that all I wanted to do those first few days was linger and make sure she was ok but it actually makes it worse. You just have to kiss them, tell them you'll be back later, and go. By the time I reached the front door I couldn't hear her anymore, and when I got back she was certainly very busy! Within a few weeks she'll be glad to be going to school and playing with her friends and teachers.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My 3-year old is a cry baby. but the funny thing is since the first day i dropped her off at school she hasn't shed not one tear this year...and its her first time going to like a school/daycare..anything of that type..i'm surprise.
    mostcallmedope

Answer by mostcallmedope at 5:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It's scary for them, especially if your like me and they've been attached to your hip since birth. Last year she started preschool and she cryed EVERYDAY for about 3 months and then about every other day for the rest of the year. A few other kids there did to so its not, not normal. But this year not one tear. Just let her know that she is a big girl, and big girls have to be brave :) Maybe something to make her feel cumfy? Her teacher gave me the idea to send a picture of the family so when she needed it she could have it and everytime story time came around, that picture would be on her lap! Maybe a Blankie or something like that? Preschool is pretty understanding with things like that.. Just let it ride out! Show her that her "friends" in class are being brave and she should be too! Good luck!!
    Krissy-

Answer by Krissy- at 8:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son is 4 and going to pre-K, and it's his first time going to school ever. He loves it and goes w/o even a look behind. "See ya, Mom!"
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:44 AM on Sep. 4, 2009