did your child give up nap when gave up crib for a big bed?

My goodness I hope I get alot of no answers!
my toddler in bid girl bed for more than a week now and naps are a struggle to say the least, please oh please tell me that this will calm down and she is not done with naps. I love her but I need her nap time

boredmom44

Asked by boredmom44 at 3:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is she? Mine was in a toddler bed at just a little over 2 years old and at first it was hard getting her to stay in it, but she's almost 3 now and still takes a good 2 hour nap during the day. It was just for the first few weeks that I had a problem, what I would do was leave her in her room during her usual naptime and eventually she crawled into her bed (at first up to an hour later) and went to sleep.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Definitely not! But we transitioned our first two children from crib to bed at about 12 months and our 3rd child around 23 months. It does take some patience and discipline to KEEP them in their bed though.

Our son is now 4 1/2 and still has quiet time in his room for 2 hours every afternoon while the girls nap. Just because the nap is gone doesn't mean quiet time has to be.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 3:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No, my oldest son was in a toddler bed at 18mo and He is 41/2 now and no longer takes naps everyday. It is my younger 2 i am worried about!!!LOL
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• no, i put my son in a toddler bed at 15 months and he still takes naps. it was a little hard at first, cuz he learned he could get up, but if you get a lock you put on the door, or put a gate up, so they can't get out (if you have a lock, you can open the door after they've fell asleep in case of Emergency, alot of moms will be shocked at the lock suggestion, but whatever) but let her cry it out in her room, she'll be tired enough to lay down in her bed and go to sleep on her own. don't be shocked if at first she falls asleep on the floor, or in a chair, if she has one in her room, she'll get the hang of the bed though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• she is 2
    and it is after 3 here, so i am giving up on her nap today, will try a stroller outside, she has not fallen asleep in stroller for over one year, but she may after no nap, she is SO over tired
    my hair is going gray as we speak

yikes!

boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No.
    My kids still have quiet/nap time for at least 1-2 hrs daily and that includes my 5 yr old(although he doesnt really nap just listens to his radio).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i think a nap every day at like 2ish 3 is to much... but i ALSO think that bc yes kids get overly tired and then become crapy.. mybe a nap Ever Other Day.. u could tell her .. mommy knws ur getting bigger so if dont nap today ur body is growing so u must nap tommrow... i also try to plan something phyiscal prior to nap time. any how GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• No. I do the supper nanny approach and just keep putting back in bed without saying anything and after a few times she goes to sleep on her own. ALso a baby gate in the doorway helps :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• well we tried the stroller, it was terrible, strolled up and down the sidewalk without going too far because she screamed and thrashed, so we came in the house and i put on Baby Bach video, this is calmling to her, must be the classical music and simple pictures, not too thrilling.

I warned the two older kids when they came home from school that she had no nap so no intense playing with her, and she is so blurry eyed, and her blinks can be timed on a sundial

at least she may go to bed well, or she may be so over tired that this is just a unrealistic thought or wish of mine

tomorrow is another day.....or so says Scarlet O'hara, but she had nannies so what does she know...............................thanks for the support and thoughts/ideas/suggestions
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• None of my kids gave up naps after they started the toddler bed. I just kept laying them down. Since it was part of the routine, they just stuck with it. My 4yr old takes a nap every afternoon.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 11:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2009