the dentist

my 4 year old son went to the dentist for an exam, the dentist told me he needs 3 fillins and one crowning.. and they say that they would give him one shot in the mouth for the crown...and i asked if i could go to the back with him.. but they dont allow for parents to go to the back with the child. what would u do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• find another dentist
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• dont go.. duh. you gonna hold his hand when he graduates HS too?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Look for another dentist.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 4:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I trust my 3 sons dentist. She is well known and is one of the best in our area. I made the mistake of putting my oldest son to bed with a sippy cup filled with moslty water and only a little juice. His two front teeth needed pulled. I could see the cavities on the back side when she pointed them out to me. I felt soooo bad. I let him go back by himself with her and he did fine. I was there for him when he was done. I think it worked out better that way for both of us. I learned my lesson the hard way, but now he has not had a cavity since. My two younger ones have never had one. Find another dentist if you think the one you have is inadequate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Children seem to be more calm in those situations if mom and dad are not in the room. If you don't trust the dentist, find a new one.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• find a new dentist. our family dentist told my mom this when i was younger. well my sister went to get a tooth pulled and ended up not only kicking the dentist in his "happy place" but hurting herself as well b/c she didn't understand what was happening. i just had a tooth pulled about a month ago and would have loved having a hand to hold. just insist you go back or find someone else.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I would find a different dentist. That's crap.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• At that age I would say they shouldn't tell you that you aren't allowed. I understand that kids do better sometimes w/out parents around, but if you aren't comfortable with the dentist, go find a new one. We just did this because they weren't going to let me into the exam with my son, and neither of us had ever met the new dentist. If you don't like it, switch. Just be sure to ask before making an appointment with a new dentist.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• find a new dentist.

My 3 year old son just had his first checkup. We let him in when the dentist was doing my exam after my cleaning so he could see what was happening with mom (up to this point he was in the waiting room with Dad) and know what to expect.

Then it was his turn. He did a good job of saying "aaaahh" and he let them "count" his teeth. After that, he was done. My dentist has kids his age, so we went with the flow. For his age and a first appointment, we were all happy. The important thing is that there were no major signs of trouble in his mouth. We try our best.
    lt1jane

Answer by lt1jane at 11:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009