How do I keep him off the couch?

My son has learned to climb up onto the couch. yay. Only he hasn't yet figured out how to get down except by rolling off and I'm afraid he's going to hurt his neck. Do they sell anything or does anybody have any creative ideas on what to use to keep him off the couch? Of course I watch him but he's a little sneaky!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put the couch up on bricks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• good idea. can you bring over your other little piggies and show me how?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If it's play time in our living room and I know he's going to be trying to climb, sometimes I take the back cushions off the couch and lay them on the floor so that if he falls he doesn't get hurt.

I also try not to let him up there too much because he can reach all sorts of things on our book shelf when he's on the couch BUT I know it's hard to keep them off all the time! Persistent little guys aren't they?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You can probably save yourself some time by simply teaching him the safe way to get off the couch so that he won't hurt himself. Unless your couch is particularly high or the floor particularly hard (ie. ceramic tile), he'll probably be ok. Also teach him to not stand on the couch as that gives him a far greater chance of getting hurt. I think you're probably fighting a losing battle trying to stop him from climbing up!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think I am lucky in this dept. My LO is very short for her age and can't climb onto the couch. She is learning to get down once I put her up there and I don't allow standing or walking on the couch. I feel that it is disrespectful and i don't want her doing it at someone else house. Good luck and just teach him how to get down safely. I actually learned to somersault off when I was about 11 mos old.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• well we put things for our little one to climb on on the floor,a rocker game chair and fliped it over so its like a little slide.we actualy brought in a slide just he slide its self not the staris.and she loves climbing on that.also show him how to get off,put his feet first and let him fall backwards like that off the couth,he wont hurt himself he will either fall on his butt or catch himself,then make a big deal about it.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:26 AM on Sep. 4, 2009