Why do you think liberals are liberals? Why are conservatives conservative?

Do you ever think about the people on "the other side" and actually try to figure out why they believe the way they do instead of just jumping to the same old conclusions?

Groovy-flor

Asked by Groovy-flor at 4:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• See, in a real political debate group, you don't hear such ignorance as the comments made above. I am probably the LEAST emotional in my political debate group of about 30 people. And in order to learn about politics properly, you MUST be able to understand the other side. Otherwise you are operating on ignorance. You don't have to agree with the other side, but you should understand it of you're going to argue politics.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Liberals operate on emotions. Reps operate on sense.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I have no idea why the libs are liberal,but I'm Conservative mainly because I value the sanctity of human life ALL human life, from conception to birth,and death. I value the sanctity of traditional, God-created marriage,and I just feel the Conservatives more align with my beliefs,and the liberals don't.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Oh i know. Almost ALL of my friends are super conservative & i am the lonely liberal...lol! We're just different as far as our political views go. I'm all about universal healthcare, & my conservative friends really have great argumants as to why they are not. I understand their point of view, i just feel differently. I totally get what they feel about it. Again, i just feel differently.

It's not that i jump to the same old conclusions. I actually am part of a political debate group. We have very mature political debates, never any bashing like they do here on CM. But, everyone seems to know why we chose whichever side we are on. We just like to discuss the difference & compare ideas, & discuss different opinions. Its fun, educational & worth my time.

But, i have to say that i actually do take the time to understand the other side. What i don't take time for, is stupidity & ignorance on either side.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I'm not always certain EITHER side operates on any sense. But we DO operate from OUR experiences and our beliefs.

I'm more libertarian than liberal, actually...I'm pragmatic enough to know there are valuable things from both positions.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• People are the way they are partly because of how they were raised and partly because of what happens after they become adults. I was raised as a "Republican", although my parents never even tried to explain politics to me. When I grew up and began to make my own decisions about life, I decided that I fit better with liberals. They're my kind of people. (Some of them, anyway.)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Well, at least only one person was insulting so far.

Yes, I try to understand the other side. Was it how you were raised that made you feel the way you do, life experience, morals etc...understanding will get you places that judgments will not.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Liberals operate on emotions

I understand their point of view, i just feel differently. I totally get what they feel about it. Again, i just feel differently

I rest my case.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I don't think too much or worry about the "other side"...I worry about Politicians. I worry about Big Government interfering in people's individual lives because they [politicians] think THEY know what's best. Death of Common Sense.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." ~Alexis de Tocqueville

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• liberals are young and inexperienced, conservatives are older and experienced. The difference between lib and con is usually the age 25 and one child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009