At what age should I start a sipppy cup & take away bottle?

My doc hasnt said anything yet and my cousins doc told her at 1 year old. My son is 13 months and still on bottle- he loves his bottle and before that he was breast fed for nine months- so should I let him keep the bottle a little longer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I introduced sippy at 6 mths and took away bottle at 1yr. I know that it is recommended for baby to be off bottle at 1yro.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 5:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think breast fed babies sometimes want to breastfed or take the bottle longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i took my dd off the bottle they day she turn one. the longer you keep him on the bottle the harder it will be to take it away. plus by doing that you are ruining his teeth
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Mine was off the bottle at 6 months and hasn't had a single problem with missing it
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My child was introduced to a sippy cup when he started eating meat baby foods. He was off the bottle by 11 months. Sometimes the doctor doesn't tell you, I believe it is better to go with your gut and do what you feel is right.

Also, my boyfriend has a 4 year old sister who stayed on a bottle until she was 3 and now her teeth are rotten. She gets teased at school and she is always at the dentist. So from seeing that, the sooner they are off the better..
    lilmomm906

Answer by lilmomm906 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I started a sippy at 6 mos by 7 mos she was off the bottle and only on sippy's and now she is using only straw sippy cups. Do what you feel is best for your child but the longer you wait the harder it will be.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• we never did a bottle but my son was on a cup full time slightly after a year...
    Kagenj07

Answer by Kagenj07 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• The recommendation is typically to eliminate the bottle at 1 yr. The concern with the teeth is an issue is the child goes to sleep with a bottle (i.e. without having brushed his/her teeth before going to sleep). The sugar in the milk can damage the teeth over time. Start introducing a sippy cup now and begin to eliminate the bottle as soon as your child can use a cup. I didn't get my son off the bottle until closer to 15 months because it took him a while to get the hang of the sippy cup. I eliminated one bottle at a time starting with the one he seemed to need the least. As much as my son loved his bottle, we were able to get him off them without a major battle. One important note, once you've gotten him off the bottle, hide them or get rid of them. Seeing them again can be a big problem! (Yes, we learned that the hard way!)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i have a breastfeed baby too,i took the bottle away when she started walking at 7months(i know thats kinda early)but it went realy well, i got a sippy cup from dollar general it has a rubber nipple like top on it.just put breastmilk in it if u still have some and he will do just fine
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2009