How many nursing pads do you need?

Do you have to wear a nursing pad everytime you aren't nursing? How many should I have on hand for after the baby is born? I plan on using the disposable ones.

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes you need to wear them even when you are not nursing, you can have a let down at anytime and you will leak, I can't give you a number, its kinda like your period, somedays you use more pads/tampons than other days. Always keep them in the house and in the diaper bag, somedays you will use more than others and change them before they soak through. They sell them in boxes, dont remember how many come in a box. Just keep them in the house and change when needed. its a good idea to have a few extra nursing bras too, just in case you soak through, you can change, after a while it does level off and the leaking is not a big issue.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I started off buying one box of them, but never had to use them. My babies sucked all them milk out every time.LOL i know there still can be leeking, but i never had too much of an issue with it. Start out with one or two boxes and see how many you use in a week or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Yep. You have to wear them all the time. I went through so many of them, I ended up using an idea I had been given by another mom. I would buy boxes of panty-liners and cut them all in half and use those instead. It is a lot cheaper that way.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I went through a ton when I had my son. I produced way more milk than he was drinking lol. I saw these things at motherhood that are supposed to invert your nipples so you don't leak at all. They are shaped like flowers, cute. I think they were $20 I am planning on buying those just to try and see if they work. I got tired of looking like I had pads in my bra all the time.
    funlovinmama82

Answer by funlovinmama82 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I used a lot with my first, but less than a box with my second. If you don't leak much you don't have to change them out often, but there's no way to know how it will be for you until you are experiencing it. I wouldn't buy more than one box before the baby is born. I also HIGHLY recommend buying some Lasinoh ointment for your nipples.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I had a box of the washable ones - I think I eventually had 24 (or 12pairs)

you'll change it as you need it - kinda like a pad.

I also made some wool ones and some fleece they were really nice and absorbant (but then I cloth diaper so it was easy to do with scraps and whatnot)

lansinoh is FANTASTIC!! and if anything it helps the nipples NOT stick to the breast pads!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 6:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• One set of lilypads will last you the entire time you nurse...they are reusable and washable and don't leak. They are $30 a set but they pay off and are clear and not bulky so don't show under clothes.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I found some washable ones at Target and have a ton of them but I leaked allllllll of the time!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i leaked a lot at the beginning and ended up needing them in all the time. i especially needed to be sure to have one in the other side if my son was nursing on one. my left boob would leak loads while he was nursing on the right and vice versa. i can't remember when it was that i stopped needing them but i know i went through at least 2 boxes of disposables, and i had a few non-disposables too.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009