Homework update...

Remember the "rules" - it all revolves around our textbook's definition of monotheistic God, not any individual denominations. Scriptures can't be used for the because it's not specific to Jewish, Christian or Muslim.

There were a few responses, including one poor girl who didn't understand the original question and yelled at the professor for telling her to read a certain page of the book to clarify (I don't think she realizes he's the professor). The rest of the conversation went on and got us here:
Does the Abrahamic God, in order to have omnipotence (knowledge of everything that has ever and will ever happen), have to know every decision you make, or only the outcome. If you change your shirt 3 times to leave the house, does he have to know about all 3 shirts, or only the one you wear to work?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmm I would guess he knows about all the shirts, but it doesn't really matter. Why don't you ask your professor this.. If he is omnipotent why did he create man in the first place knowing he would not be happy with us and drown them all (Noah)?? Then create them again only to destroy them with fire (Sodom and Gamorah). If we are evil from our youth why allow us to exist at all?? OK enough ranting LOL He does not "have" to know about the other shirts you changed, but if he's omnipotent he does know.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• *that should've said used for the answers, not used for the
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think he would. That whole free will vs omnipotence thing absolutely baffles me. It's like...you decide to commit suicide. If god is omnipotent, he should know this and should have known this forever and ever. Suicide sends you straight to hell in some belief systems. Sooo...god would knowingly send you to hell? Alrighty then.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it goes something like this. We see our kids play outside, if they wear white we know that it's going to get dirty, sometimes it may not though. I think that is how God sees everything. It's not that he makes or chooses our choices for us it's that he knows how we are and knows that we are goingto prolly change our shirt those three times. Maybe he does now about the shirts we wil choose maybe not. But like I said above, like we have a slight amount of foresight as parents,, I think that is about the same foresight God has.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Caitrawks.. God sends no one to hell people send them selves there by their choices. He doesnt want anyone to go there but free will, and ominipotent He is, He will not interfere with man's choices and the consequences are already laid out.
    Everyones spirit KNOWS God but not all allow their spirit to acknowledge who He is due to flesh and the un renewed mind of man.

God knows everything but the most important thing He seeks is a faithful heart. He seek all over the earth for a heart that yearns to worship Him faithful. Yes He cares about what you wear. Since I cannot use scripture , I will say this, He is the one that created us, so yes He would care.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• LOL maybe in a few weeks. I feel bad enough for the guy getting his head bitten off for telling someone what page the answer was on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Since all paths lead to god supposedly, I think only the beginning and the end are of importance and what lies in between is simply progress (LOST anyone?)

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• This is the way that I see free will. For instance, about 2 years ago, I chose to take out a loan. I had a little gap in my income and told my self “I can do this,” even though in my heart I knew that God was speaking to me and telling me not to go there. I chose to take out the loan, then the economy crashed, gas, my property taxes, groceries etc all went up and I was in a car accident and had to get another car which added a car payment that I did not have, and closed that little gap that I had. Now I am struggling each month just to make the minimum payment.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• If I had listen to God and not taken out the loan I would not have this problem. God warns us, we just do not listen. Although he knew all of this was coming and tried to stop me, I did what I wanted to do and now I am in a financial crunch because I chose free will instead of following God's advice. God does not push him self on any one, so even though he knows we are heading for rough seas, it is our choice to listen and turn around or to continue on and ride those waves, which is what I am doing because I chose not to listen.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 9:48 AM on Sep. 4, 2009