the bigger, the shorter they eat?

So my baby is 8 1/2 lbs and Im 37wks. I'm getting a c-section next sat.
But what I was wondering was, when my niece was born the told my sil that she has to keep her weight up and feed her more often, so by next week my baby will already be around 9lbs. How long do ya'll think I will be able to breastfeed her? (this is my first baby by the way)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A bigger baby may be able to consume more milk in a shorter period of time, and may also stay fuller longer and feed less frequently. Your body should adjust to your baby's demand - if you aren't producing enough your baby will want to nurse more frequently until your supply catches up. This can be frustrating, and some moms of big babies decide to supplement (if you do this your supply will probably stay a bit behind of your baby's needs, which can also be frustrating - try to nurse as often and as long as your baby wants). You can breastfeed as long as it is mutually desirable to you and your baby. Since it is your first, be sure and get as much BF support as you can while you are in the hospital - the LC can help you a lot. Also, the u/s estimate of your baby's weight could be off by a pound or more, so don't be surprised if your baby is not the size you expected. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• the babies weight has nothing to do with how long you can breastfeed for. you do it as long as you and baby want to.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i pumped for a month at the end of 1 month he was eating 3 oz every 3 hrs. he was 8lbs 11oz.
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• My son was born 8lbs 2oz and ate every two hours. Babies weight has no at all on how long or how much you breastfeed. You will need to maintain a good diet, basically like you are still pregnant, to make sure your body stays healthy so you both get all of the nutrients you need. BF is hard at first but I promise you, your child and you will figure out how much/how often it needs to be done! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Listen to your baby. My oldest feed every hour for an half an hour 14 hours out of the day, she was a very active child, girl too. My younest every three hours like clock work around the clock for 20 min., girl to but slept more like an average baby. They have the same body type, tall girls. BOth tripled their weightin 4 months. Just listen to your baby, follow your heart, and meet with a lacatation consultant before you leave the hospital. Trust your instints, you will be great. Try not to listen to advice unless you asked for it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2009