How do I get my fiance to 'man-up' and cut the cord from his mother?

My fiance is so controlled by his mother. He is 28 yrs old. We have been together for 7 yrs. I have a 9 yr old daughter and we, together, have a 3 yr old son. His mother is so controlling over what he does. She is trying to control how we raise our son. She gets mad at me and tells her son that I am doing things wrong because I didnt do them her way. She requires him to go over her house on both of his off days. When we tried to tell her we would only come over once a week instead, she threatened to disown my fiance. I haven't gone over to her house in almost 2 yrs for an extended visit. We had got into a big fight because I wanted to start leaving at 7pm so my then 1yr old son could get to bed by 7:30. She threw a fit and told us we could wait until 7:30 to leave and refused to hand over my son. My fiance, as usual, was just going to stay so she didn't whine. I got up & said something about it. Big fight. What am I to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Whoa, keep your distance from that woman, raise your kid how you want to don't ask her anything, and I'd stand up for myself to her and him, and let him know how this is affecting you and how it could affect your son in the future.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• She sounds like my exMIL from hell! The only fix I found was divorce!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Good question...when you figure it out let me know! I'm having the same problem with my fiance! Except he has several umbillical cords...one attached to his mom, his dad, his brothers, his friends, and his video games.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I feel sorry for you. Talk about high maintenance.She must be spoiled rotten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• ugh sounds like my MIL if you figure out the solution let me know you may want to evaluate your relationship with your fiance because believe me once you say I do the mommy reigns come on even tighter and you might as well consider her a part of you as a couple makes me sick sometimes
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 7:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It's only going to get worse when you eventually marry. Then she will have the LEGAL authority to take you for grandparents rights. RUN, don't walk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Not many states even have grandparent rights...

You have been with your fiance for many years now and nothing has changed...

Either you keep fighting this battle or you take what is in front of you...

He is the one that needs to make the change and if he is not willing you
    either take it or leave it..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• He needs to tell his mom to back off. If he can't I would tell him where to go because it will only get worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2009