How much influence do you have over your kids?

So many nutters have their feathers in a tizzy about this speech Obama is going to give. All of you seem to think your kids will "go over to the dark side" after one speech. Do you really have such little influence?

Why aren't more of you conservatives using this as an opportunity to teach your kids rather than just burying your heads in the sand and keeping them from it? THAT'S how you lose, by not knowing what the otherside is doing.

But, hey, I'm all for it. The less you conservative nutters know, the better.

But seriously, why would you begrudge yourself and your children of an opportunity to have a discussion, even if you are going to brainwash them about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with the poster that said it is a TEACHING opportunity. So you don't like Obama fine. let your children hear him speak and then take the time to explain to them why you agree or disagree. There is nothing wrong with the president of the united states giving a speech to the future generations! And I don't care who is president. I am a hardcore democrat but if it was Bush in office i still wouldn't pull my kids out of school!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• What I was objecting to seems to be now removed from the mix. I didn't want my 6th grade daughter to have to write essays, poems, letters, who knows what on how she can "help" President Obama. If all the extra material is taken away and all she would do is listen to a (probably boring) speech on staying in school, that's fine.

I don't want her in a position to have to support his agenda or explain why she doesn't agree with it. She knows enough to know for herself what she supports. She's eleven, so she doesn't understand economics. She is often in the car with me when I listen to the radio, so the word abortion has come on when the news is on. I thought she was old enough to hear what abortion does. She couldn't believe it ,and doesn't support President Obama because of his pro-abortion stance.

She's in the gifted program. She does well in school. Dropping out isn't something she's thinking about.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Apparently the right wingers are convinced they have none.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If I'm a "nutter" because my politics differ from yours, I'm glad to be one.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Monica,

But maybe voicing her opinion is something she does think about. You don't have to agree with the President to write an essay or a poem. I am a proud believer that dissent is one of the most patriotic things we can do. This could teach her that she DOES have a voice and allow her to get her opinions on paper.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You don't even get why people are upset, so what's the point? I don't know about you, but where I live, the state oversees public education, not the federal government.The pres has no right to tell teachers what assignments to give elementary students. I prefer a teacher make the lesson plan, not a politician, be he/she republican, democrat, what have you.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• "You don't even get why people are upset, so what's the point? I don't know about you, but where I live, the state oversees public education, not the federal government.The pres has no right to tell teachers what assignments to give elementary students. I prefer a teacher make the lesson plan, not a politician, be he/she republican, democrat, what have you."

A suggestion does not a lesson plan make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• It's hard to take your post seriously when it's filled with lame insults about those who disagree with you. You catch more bees with honey, OP.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it's rather funny that the school year will not even have BEGUN in some parts of the country---whatever will become of those who do not hear Obama's speech du jour? Will they not be successful in life? Will they lack direction? Will they wander aimlessly throughout their lives? Oh, the horror!!! LOL (sarcasm)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I won't waste my time with a real answer for this question because it isn't a question. You just wanted an opportunity to attempt to put down your betters.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009