Perms.

Does anyone get a perm regularly? I have thick/coarse hair that is super straight. I would love to get a perm to look like Shakira/Rachel Zoe or that chick from the new 90210. Is it a dated look to have a perm? I have an amazing hairdresser who only tells me the truth and he says he can do a realistic perm. Does anyone else out there have or get perms regularly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• When my baby is born and life kind of calms down, I am perming my hair. Wanted to then got pregnant. Who cares if people say it's in or out....it may look hot on you, and you will never know until you try. It's not like it's totally permanent
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Honestly, just when I see the word "perm" I laugh my ass off. (thank you for that by the way, I needed a laugh tonight)...but I don't know anybody who gets their hair permed anymore. The thing with perms is, I have only ever seen them with really tight curls. The type of curl you are looking for is natural. I dunno?? I guess you could try it and if it looks like crap then you will just have to straighten your hair every morning like us girls with curly hair :)
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 7:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• OP here. I know! When I think 'perm' I think total stiff, aquanet 80's hair. But I"ve always had straight hair and us straight hair girls want curly hair, just like the curlies want straight. Hmm, it could be a total disaster waiting to happen. I think I"ll probably wait unitl my hair is really long so it won't look like a poodle and bunch up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• it depends on the size of curlers they use. If you want one get it. I have had a ton of perms and i would like to get another one but the lst time i got one it was just so expensive! I have very long hair and it is straight in some places and eavy in others. I hate it. Get one if you want its not bad. i promise!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 7:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i say go for it, I am 11 weeks pregnant and going to grow my hair out while pregnant...after the baby gets here I want a perm!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• tell your stylist to take larger, almost square sections, instead of the rectangular 1/2", and use larger rods. if your hair is long, he'll have to piggyback the rods, to ensure even wave-size from root-to-ends. if your hair is thick, you'll probably need bulk-reducing layering, not lots of layers, but its necessary to remove weight--otherwise, the curl will relax from the weight. you're probably only wanting bodywaves/big curls. its totally doable..go for it!
    be sure to listen to his instructions on care/styling for the perm, too.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• i HAD A PERM A FEW YRS AGO AND LOVED IT!! iT LASTED ALMOST A YR:) i WOULD GET IT AGAIN IF MY HAIR WAS LONG ENOUGH.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 10:42 AM on Sep. 8, 2009