I just tried teething tablets for the 1st time and I couldn't get them under my 3 month old's tongue...I'm pretty sure she just swallowed them. Is that ok? Will they still work?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never tried to put them under the tongue....they just dissolve quickly. I don't kow why it says to put them under the tongue. When my son first started teething at 5 months, I mixed them with water, as it said and squirted it in. It doesn't matter if they swallow them, they are made to dissolve very quickly. But remember, they are not going to take pain away. They are made to calm down the baby more than take pain away.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• yes, its fine! they will just melt and work their wonders :)
    AmandaQuu

Answer by AmandaQuu at 7:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Just stick them between the gum and the cheek.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• **OP**
    Wow - they are magic!
    Thanks, all
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• arent they fantastic! and yes we dont even bother trying to get them under the tongue anymore its useless
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• teething tablets are actually not very good for baby. just saying. i was thinking of using them and then i was told not to medicate at all unless baby is very fussy...but if baby is fussy those are not the best to use. they contain caffiene...just something to think about.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• soveryconfused, I think you're confused about this. Teething tabs DO NOT contain caffeine.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:45 AM on Sep. 4, 2009

• Dissolve 2 tablets a medicine syringe (like the one that comes with baby motrin) with a little water and give it to her that way. The way I did it was put the tablets inside the syringe, then suck up about a half of a syringe full of water and then shake it until the tablets dissolve. This worked super well.

Oh, and they definitely don't have caffeine, in fact they help baby rest. It is completely safe to give 2 every 2 hours as needed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2009