what is a good menu for a 12 month old?

My son is underweight.. 14th percentile and my doctor wants him to cut back on the milk and start eating more solids and drink either water or water and juice (50/50). She wants him to have 3 smaller meals with a protein, a carb, and a vegetable with 2 larger snacks during the day. What's a good menu so the foods aren't too repetitive.. even if they only switch up every other day. Any idea would be a great help!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 7:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old has been under weight since he was 7 months old. Ensure is great and so are mush potato's. You make mashed potato's with shredded cheese melted. It is a lot cleaner then gravy and my son ate it up. I was told by his doctor to give him one flintstone vitamin everyday then when he turned 2 to give him two a day. Don't worry your son will grow at his own rate and the percentiles are just for doctors. My son will be 3 on Halloween and still wears 2T.
    melvinsmom

Answer by melvinsmom at 8:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• WHAT.... underweight and they want them to cut back on the milk and drink more water? No offense, but what state are you in and what is wrong with your dr. I say state because, I am currently in Alabama and had a woman tell me my son should be on 2% not whole milke (son is 12 months) because it isn't as fattening. Their brains need that fat to develop properly and it's healthy fat. Then I think of WIC changing things in Oct. I worked mental health and my best friend is in Infant Stimulation in Pennsylvania. So WIC differs by state. In PA they are going to start a program keeping babies, esp underweight ones, on formula until 2 years of age because they need to be getting the nutrients milk and food don't offter. They will be cutting back on juice and adding more fruits and veggies because of sugar content. However, in AL it isn't the same. Anyways....that is just crazy. I'm not saying find a new dr, but I sure as heck would...
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Your baby needs to eat healthy, and have like I think 24-32 oz of milk a day (I think). My baby gets 24-32 oz of whole milk. And I feed him fruits and veggies. You can incorporate tofu for the protein, that is what I do. If you want to email feel free, I can let you know how I cook and make "baby food" for my son that has different things in it babies can eat and their systems handle. Some doctors and people amaze me....I'm all fired up now and feel bad for you LOL must be my pregnancy hormones in high gear once again!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• this website is pretty cool. this page is for sample menus. good luck!

http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/toddlermenus.htm
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2009