Post Partum Depression - before baby? Is it possible??

I am now into 3/4 of the way to the end of this pregnancy but part of me is slowly unsure if this is right. I know, something that you'd think should have been thought of at the beginning (and it was) but now all of a sudden I am not sure if I'm cut out for this. I have lost the desire to set up everything I just got at my shower, I am sick of everyone wanting to talk about nothing but the baby, I am tired of being tired and uncomfortable, and the list goes on and on and on. I don't even want to talk to my husband anymore, he seems to be no help. Is this the baby blues? Can you even get PPD before you have the baby? I was screened for depression a few weeks ago, but they keep saying I'm fine. I'm not so sure I am though...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's very possible to get depresion while you're pregnant, I'm not sure what they call it though but it's not PPD. Anyway I think I had that too, but when they would screen me for depression I would lie because I was afraid that they might take the baby from me after she was born or put me in the loney bin or something, that's why it wasn't diagnosed (though my husband probably figured it out) It sounds silly now. After I had my dd, it stoped, I was happy again,I felt like myself again, so I know it was just the hormones making me feel that way.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• If you are not sure if you're okay, even if your doc is telling you 'oh you're fine" tell your doctor you AREN'T fine. You know better than any silly screening how you feel day in and day out.
    Mostly though, it sounds like normal fears and anxieties. I am pregnant with my second and I am 7 weeks from my due date, planning a natural homebirth and suddenly I can't stop panicking about the very thing I've been overly excited about for the past 7 months! I feel like there's NO WAY everything is going to be ready!
    And it DOES NOT help when all everyone wants to talk about is the baby!!! Sometimes it's like HELLO! I am still a person, here, not just a baby making machine!
    You can certainly still be experiencing depression or anxiety, but do keep in mind a lot of that is normal. That's probably what your doc told you, but it's true. HOWEVER, if you feel like you can't even cope through the days, that's different.
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Post Pardum.....only comes after pregnancy. You could be experience another form of depression, which could lead to ppd after you have your baby. You really need to talk to your doctor.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 11:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2009