Should a teen take lunch to High School?

I was reading a post and found out that many young moms on here feel that only NERDS, as they put it, take lunch to high school.

Is it so wrong if a parent wants their child to eat their own healthy food that is not prepared by strangers. Afterall, you dont really know what goes on in the school kitchen, who touched your food , who coughed or sneezed on your food, do you?

So if I pack my teen's lunch, yes I still make my teen's lunch, dont hate me for it LOL, will my teen be made fun of"?

Please keep your answers clean and respectable, if you cant do that , then please dont answer.

Thanks

QT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I often packed my own lunch. Maybe I was a nerd. But I was also on the cheerleading squad, gymnastics team, and got good grades. Now I'm a lawyer. I guess being a nerd isn't so bad. :) If your kid wants to bring their own lunch-- do it! If not, then don't force it. High school is a time of assertion and independence (from the parents--sorry), so let your student decide what's best for them. Instead of a full out lunch, you might consider packing snacks that they can just grab between classes.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Wow, I wasn't a nerd by any means....and I choose to take a lunch. I guess that is because as a girl, we watched what we ate and wanted to eat healthy. I hope my kids feel the same. I felt the same over a decade ago, school lunches aren't as healthy, and you're right, who knows what goes on in those kitchens. I feel the same about eating out, which we don't do often.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Kids are so mean now a days you never know if they will be teased but if the child is ok with and you are then who cares, sorry but school lunches most of the time are pretty gross. My middle school likes me to make his lunch he really don't like the school lunches at all except like pizza.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I took my own lunch that I had made when I was in HS. I had a closed campus, so my choice was either the "snack shack" (We didn't have a cafeteria), which had a LONGGGG line that took most of your break, the vending machines (whhich sometimes ate your money and didn't dispense your stuff), the student store (long lines) or you brought your own. At my school, no one CARED! Now, if you brought your lunch and it was little kid stuff like juice boxes and had cartoon characters on it, then yeah... you'd get poked fun at.

If I had an open campus, staggered lunch breaks, or some other option, it might have been a different story.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I took my lunch to high school, very rarely. We had an awesome salad bar and I ate that everyday or went out to lunch. No one is going to care if someone brings a lunch. Just don't put it in something embarrassing or do anything childish in the lunch.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• growing up if I knew I wasn't going to have lunch money that day I would pack a lunch. I got hungry too. and no one made fun of me. Actually a lot of times people would ask to share my chips or something I brought special lol. Especially the kids who didnt have lunch at all
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• You,do better asking your child,how he or she feel about brown bagging it. I never heard that you were a nerd if you brought your lunch to school.In,my home my kids chose what days they wanted to take their lunch.As,long as your child don't mind,who cares what others say. I learn something new everyday on CM,now, I learned,if you take your lunch,you are a nerd,lol,somebody better warn all the people who take their lunch to work.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• When I was in high school my friends and myself often brought a lunch to school....and we weren't nerds. My one friend was Homecoming Queen, several of us were cheerleaders, dance team, etc. We did sometimes buy a lunch, but the food at our school wasn't very good and that was back before the day of salad bars.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it is a good idea for kids to make a lunch to take to school - or for their Mom to make the lunch. There aren't too many schools that have healthy lunches-I have eaten at two schools in our town when visting my grandkids' classes. They usually take a lunch to school-I would too. :-) When I was in school many years ago, nobody cared if we ate at school or brought our lunches from home. We were a lot more mature and had more important things to think about than whether or not someone was a nerd. Most of us were from college educated families and we were working hard in school to prepare for college...even when in grade school. Nowdays, it seems all kids care about is looking cool and wearing bizarre , slutty clothes, having I-Pods and cell phones -- all those expensive and wasteful things. I bet most don't even care about going to college. Just smokin' on the weekends and not being nerds. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• me and my brother took our lunches from day 1 in k- last day of senior yr. My mom packed them for us and we even got a little note EVERY DAY :) Of course when we were were in HS we both had jobs so if we wanted to buy something we could but I enjoyed my bag lunches and knowing my mom made it for me. (o and neither me or my brother were 'nerds' we were considered the 'regular' kids who just happened to know everyone & they knew us... friends w all)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2009