How can I get a 2 year old to eat more then Grilled Cheese and Chicken Nuggets?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and for the past few months he will eat nothing but grilled cheese and chicken nuggets. I try everyday to get him to eat new foods but he will not even try. It is a fight at every meal time. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't offer the grilled cheese or nuggets, he'll get hungry and eat. I don't know but that's what I'd do.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Stop buying chicken nuggets and stop preparing grilled cheese. Serve a choice of healthier foods, and let him eat as much or as little as he wants to. You can't control HOW MUCH he eats, but you can control WHAT he eats. Try grilled chicken, with some sort of healthy dipping sauce. See how he likes it. Grilled cheese is ok on occasion, but not every day.

Be nonchalant about his eating habits. If he eats, cool...if not, cool. The more you make a big fuss about it, the worse the "fighting" will get. It's very entertaining for him to see his mom getting pissed off because he's refusing foods, so stop getting pissed off.

This will pass soon. All kids go thru phases like this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• As the posters said . . . stop offering it. A kid won't starve him/herself. He is on strike. It's your turn to go on strike . . only healthy foods from now on. Your baby will get with the program!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Try offering something for him to dip his food in (ranch, ketchup, peanut butter, etc) for example give him carrots with a bit of ranch on the side- he'll love dipping them in the ranch. I've gotten many kids to eat a variety of food just by putting a little squirt of something for them to dip it into on the side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I learned about this in my Nutrition class:

First of all, Stop fighting.

Just serve him a variety of foods, and leave it at that. Don't say anything, just set the example and eat your food. It might take a while for him to eat, and you might get worried, but nothing cures a picky eater like a hungry stomach.

If your really worried he's not eating during this transition, my doc says you can add carnation instant breakfast into their milk for some vitamins and nutrients.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2009